My opinion about sober counters

But it invariably WILL for an addict. It triggers a biological response as well as a psychological one.

Let’s say you decide to indulge, and do manage to keep it to “just one.” The addict in your brain WILL use that against you. You’ll think “hey, I can have ONE here and there and be okay.” Eventually, as that seems to be okay, the addiction will convince you that maybe you can handle TWO. Sooner or later, this WILL devolve into the addiction claiming its control again.

I’d spent the past year or so attempting to fight my addiction in this manner, and it always ends the same way.

So the way I look at it, even one tiny sip IS a relapse to me, because I know it will snowball out of control from there, that one tiny moment of complacency.

I am also a firm believer in this concept: creating the possibility of an “exception”, a Plan B as it were? Almost certainly guarantees that your plan A will fail.

For me, I couldn’t get better until I finally hit the point of realization that in order to succeed, there was no room for a contingency, and I have to be unfailingly committed to my Plan A.

Each person’s recovery is their own, obviously, this is just me sharing my knowledge/experience - take it if you need it, leave it if you think you don’t!

8 Likes

I like this. This is warrior thinking. Keep getting after it.

7 Likes

Yessir, most certainly will do!

When I first started counting, I would only reset when I got drunk. I thought that having a couple beers or none at all were basically the same thing. So I was drinking daily and patting myself on the back for the days I didn’t get drunk…yeah. See the problem?
About a month later I deleted the app and went back down the rabbit hole for a while. Things did not improve.
Things got better when I got more serious about being better. I can’t promise to never drink again, but I will definitely reset my counter if I do.

4 Likes