My road to recovery

So i made a pact with myself 3 days ago to get sober. And i struggle during the day with withdrawal and have found myself drinking again each night. I went to my first aa meeting today. Yet i had to have 2 beers to go, and when i got back home i had another beer. A couple of hours past and i yet again had to have 2 more beers. Is it really this hard to stop. It was so much easier last time i stopped

Hey mate, there are many things which can affect the severity of withdrawals.
One of those things is how many past detoxes you’ve had. So when you say it was so much easier last time it could be because of that, or it could just be that you were drinking more this time.
Be careful though, severe alcohol withdrawals can be fatal. I would suggest seeking medical attention if it’s available. If not, tapering down is a much better option than stopping cold turkey if you’re experiencing severe symptoms.

I went from 6 to 10 beers a day to 10 to 20. Just to function. So that was trying in itself just to stop. It wasnt like i was getting drunk from it anymore. Last time it got hard to do after a week. Now im sitting at 2 hours after a drink and im already shaking and sweating from not having it. I want to seek a detox place out because i think im sitting in a fatal withdrawal point. But i know if i do go to detox, it will end my career instantly

Are you able to do any type of rehab program? That might help with the detox and withdrawal. Once it’s out of your system fully your body will stop craving it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Honestly, If you don’t go to detox, it’s going to kill you, slowly or instantly, either way, it will kill you. You don’t know it will end your career, maybe it will, maybe it won’t, at least if you go and you get sober you have a fighting chance at a new life.

I would seriously consider taking appropriate action ASAP.

4 Likes

Thing is my friend, one of the first things I found out, when I started to read around on here is that getting sober is a life changing process.
Put your faith in yourself and be prepared to change your life.
If this means your life is turned around and upside down, isn’t that better than the other option.
Not having a life! Think on it a bit. What is more important to you.
A job is just a job compared to the rest of your life!

I totally agree with a few of these posts. Your life literally depends on you putting healing from addiction first if you want to live a different life than you currently do. As @Dejavu and @anon12657779 mentioned, this is a fatal addiction when it continues long term and even before it kills you, what is your current quality of life right now anyway? If you are anything like me, it killed me spiritually just as much as it was physically. My life was horrid and unmanageable until I got sober but I had to do whatever it took to get there before my addiction killed me. Life is MUCH different on this side of the fence, trust me, its worth it. Good luck, glad you are here! Stick around, you may find things here that help you on your way! :heart: