My story for the first time

I have been a very good drunk for maybe 10 years. I don’t think anyone knows. But maybe that’s me fooling myself. Ive gotten drunk almost every night for at least 3 years. But guess what. I’m on day 3! It’s a really big deal. I’ve hated myself for years and thought hell ya gotta die from something… but then Sunday I woke up experiencing
numbness and tingling in my arms and hands. I knew instantly this was a result of years of self abuse with alcohol. Scared the crap out of me. I knew I really wasn’t ready to die from something, and I decided to stop drinking and to start living. So this is the first story I’ve ever told. Wish me luck. I really don’t want to die just yet!

14 Likes

The health issue really bothers me. Nights of drinking and waking up at 2 or 3am, it’s all I think about. How much of an earlier death am I giving myself? How fucked up is my liver by now? Scary.

Congrats on day 3! Kick ass.

2 Likes

I know all to well about waking up at 2 and 3 in the morning. Stewing about the blackout. Hoping I can keep the whole shit storm a secret… wondering what I did with the evidence (bottles). Swearing I won’t do it again only to find myself in line with a bottle of wine in my hand less than 12 hours later. Something has changed for me the neuropathy was a loud freaking wake up call! Hope everyone continues on their journey to sobriety. Thanks for listening. BTW I’m a good listener as well!!!

Numbness and tingling in my hands and feet was what finally pushed me to giving up booze. I did some research and alcohol messes up the nervous system plus depletes the body of B12. The worst part though, depending on how long it’s lasted, some of it can be irreversible. Mine was off and on for a couple of years. I just thought it was from weight lifting and cycling related issues. It’s been nearly 70 days since I quit and I’ve been taking B12 daily. Not 100% back to normal, but the issues have mostly went away. So you’re doing a good thing catching it early. Great job and keep it up!

My story is very similar. It was a not so postive liver scan test that did it for me. 261 days sober now. Let’s do this!

1 Like

70 days is amazing. You give me hope and inspiration. Did you have difficulty sleeping initially as you detoxed? I had a very tough night last night tossing and turning. I hope it doesn’t last too long. Thank you for sharing!

I actually slept pretty well. I would only drink on the weekends usually, I just drank ridiculous amounts. So during that pattern my sleep was terrible Monday and Tuesday, guess I was going thru withdrawels on a weekly basis. I made sure to get back into the gym before 5 am when I quit, so that helped my sleep as well. But once your body makes it past the physical dependence you shouldn’t have any issues. Several months ago I never thought I’d be at this point, so it’s definitely possible. Just keep on grinding!

Yep. The neuropathy has progressively increased literally throughout my whole body and frequently painful. Like a steady pins and needles numbing sensation. It truly scares me. This is my life and I only get one. So today is Day 2. Last night I tossed and turned what seemed like an eternity in pain cause now my body is aware of the pain and not numbed by a buzz. Finally slept in the wee hours in the morning. From what I remember it gets better and you actually look forward to a going to bed to wake up fresh and ready to go. And the neuropathy does lessen pretty quickly. At least for me. I bought b12 yesterday too.

Let’s do this. Stay strong and let’s do what we did yesterday, today. God bless and have a great day today :pray:t3::muscle::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’m so friggin proud of you man!! Making it to day 2 is a really big deal for you. I got teared up reading that post you wrote about your wife and the look she gave you. Shows it’s not too late for you two. Just keep going man. It’s worth it!!

1 Like

This is my first time posting anything on a sober network. Honestly, I am quite anxious as one can imagine. I have not consumed alcohol in three days now. It is odd, I have stints of abstinence before but have not felt the abstraction of what my choice of sobriety is going to mean today or for my future. This is a daunting task but I have finally reached out to a community of support.

2 Likes

I know what you mean! I’ve never reached out to anyone before except maybe God. But I joined this social network Monday and in that short amount of time I have found peers with the same struggles,issues and embarrassments we are all trying to overcome. I’m on day 4 and feel encouraged! We can do this!!

2 Likes

Thank you for the encouragement!

Good for you! I felt the same way a week ago and now I’m on day 8! This forum has been a fantastic resource for me. I hope it is for you, too. The new life you may be imagining for yourself may seem like an abstraction, but when the potential beauty of it becomes felt and lived, it’s quite amazing. We’re here for you! :heart:

2 Likes

Congratulations on day 3.atay strong and hang in there, you got this!

1 Like

Thanks again for the support. It’s new to me to have people I haven’t met showing support. It’s seems as the day goes there is a positive change, I am excited to see what can become the further I maintain

2 Likes

Thanks brother! You’ve been a key here to me and I appreciate you immensely. Thanks for always believing and never giving up on me! Love ya bro!