; My story isnt over

Hi all.
My name is Amanda and I am 36 years old.
I have a wonderful son, 10, who is the light of my life.
Well I should start at the beginning…
I lived in the city for 10 years with my boyfriend (father of son).
All of my family lived 2 hours north of me.
One day my bf suggested we move up north and buy a home.
Making my dreams come true.
So he said “you guys (my son and I), go up north first and stay at your parents and I will follow.”
So I did just that.
I enrolled our son in school up north and a week later bf texted to say our relationship was over.
We were devastated.
That is when I turned to alcohol.
It has been 3 years struggling to remain sober.
I have been to treatment for 3 months and have had a period of 6 months of sobriety.
I am currently 27 days sober.
I have an addictions counselor, mental health counselor and attend AA weekly.
Encouraged and confident that I can stay sober.
Just sharing my story.

12 Likes

You are right, your story isn’t over. You are at the part where the grief of loss is ending, and healing is beginning. You are young, and have a child, and the future can be whatever you want it to be. It can be brighter, and you can get better.

Decide to be better, and then be better. Keep getting better at getting better each and every day.

And the best way to do this is sober.

3 Likes

Hi Amanda,

Whew. You’ve been through so much. It sounds like your whole world was upended. You grieved it in the way you knew how.

Having said that, you now have a really thorough plan for recovery. That’s fantastic! I’m also a mom (my kids are three and four), and I also go to AA - as well as check in here.

Your story is far from over. The hardships you have experienced have given you a level of understanding and empathy you might otherwise never have found. I’m betting you have strength you are just beginning to discover. Use every resource you have. There is a ton of support and information here. Glad you found us!

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your encouragement!
Indeed it has been a rough journey but I am confident I can succeed.
I am new to this forum but so far have had a great experience.
Definitely using this for support.
Day: 29 today.
Yay!

4 Likes

I’m do sorry! First of all,am I allowed to say,what a d%#*k. (?) And,thanks for sharing you’re story! I am 36 ås well,single dad,from Norway. But my daughter lives with my sister and her family at the moment. The thing that inspires and motivates me the most,is stories like yours. So,again,just wanted to say thank you for letting me hear your story;-) Have a great sunday!

1 Like

Thank you so much.
Honestly, it was the worst time in my life but through it I have grown and became the person I am today.
Wiser, stronger, and independent.
I’m glad my story can inspire others.
Hope you have a wonderful Sunday as well!

1 Like