My story (the short version)

Hi my name is antonio i am 29 years old, I decided to introduce myself and tell you guys my story well at least a short version of it. I grew up in rhode island to a low class family my parents split when I was 3 years old my mom was an alcoholic who worked two jobs to support me and my two sisters and her drinking habit. Around the age of 15 I started smoking marijuana and not focusing in school, I wanted to be the “cool” guy who was the class clown/life of the party. During my senior year in high school my mother started smoking crack cocaine and I started to resent her and dropped out of school and moved out of the house. I was hanging out with some of my friends they were gang members and I started selling drugs to support myself and my marijuana addiction, things seemed to be ok until I turn 21, at this point I started drinking and bindging weeks at a time. At the age of 25 I met this girl I fell in love with it’s still a hard thing to talk about so I’m gonna be brief, but she was doing heroin and since I loved this girl I thought it would be a good idea to do it with her. Well like everything before I had to do as much possible, I began to rob people and stores chasing the high and supporting me and the girl I was with. I began to lose my friends and family because everytime they saw me I was high and belligerent which only made me upset and want to use even more. By the age of 27 I had a $200 a day habbit and nobody around me to talk to so my problems ended up sending me to jail for 44 days for fight with police and I got clean off the drugs while I was there. I got out of jail the end of September 2018 and was clean for a month, then October 27 my girlfriend passed of an overdose and instantly my life was turned back around I went the rehab I’m the state of Connecticut I just finished rehab on the 25&hit of Feburary, I am now 23 days sober and life is constantly blessing me. That was a very short quick story of how I got addicted next time I will tell it with more detail. Stay blessed

13 Likes

Hi Antonio, welcome!
Thank you for sharing a part of your story. You’ve lived alot in your young 29 years, I’m glad your here.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing Antonio, heroin was my main doc aswlk and that’s a particular hero that I have no intention of going back to. I hope to see your around here plenty if used to its full potential this forum can be an important tool in our recovery. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:
Congrats on 23 days I guess that your were introduced to twelve step meetings whilst your were in rehab, I know that they’re aren’t any in person meetings available right now but I would recommend that you participate in some of the online ones as now you are out and back on the real world is important to maintain your recovery work.
Feel free free to message me if you need to talk. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome! You’ve been thru it! I’m so sorry about your girlfriend. Congratulations on your sonriety and ability to see your blessings. Keep up the good work.

2 Likes

Congratulations on 23 days of sobriety that’s awesome!! My condolences on the passing of your girlfriend, that is heartbreaking.
Your on the right path now. 29 is the same age I was when I finally put the bottle down for the last time. Every day is a blessing. Every sober day is a blessing. And you will have many more to come. Proud of you.

2 Likes

Wow thats some stuff man

I look forward to seeing more of your posts and more from your story when your ready. Your a strong man and very important to all of us. Your exparience can help all of us. If you met someone in a place you were in at that time, would you want to help them? People are on all the time with the addictions. Sometimes they dont last. I hope you will.

Keep comming

4 Likes

That’s a whole lot to deal with. But you are young and having many years to come. Many years to live sober and clean and change your life for the good. Congratulations with your 23 sober days! :confetti_ball:
Be around here often: it helps to be here much! :facepunch:

1 Like

Hi mate. Welcome to the forum. You have been through an awful lot for a guy in his 20’s. My heart goes out to you.

Best of luck with sobriety. It sounds like the best thing for you.

Keep checking in.

Alan

Thanks for your share brother. My story is similar and I can relate. At the age of 21 I was arrested for murder ( behind meth ) spent 10 years and 4 months in California prison. Got out and began drinking. I’m now involved very heavily in AA and my life is unimaginably amazing today! Keep up the good work brother!

1 Like