My Story: Working towards a free life

Hello everyone. This may be a bit of an overshare but I wanted to put my story out there to find similar stories so that we can all help each other on this journey.

I grew up with a verbally abusive mother. To get away as soon as possible, I joined the Marines right out of high school in 2011. Like every Marine and especially like every grunt, I drank ALOT while I was in. The only times I had true sobriety was on long field ops and deployments. When I got out in 2015 I was still drinking a good bit for the first few month. I started college and got into powerlifting giving me reason to stop or at least cut way back on drinking. My junior year of college I found this deceivingly great drug called cocaine and it slowly and quietly began to take over my life. At first it was used as it was intended, to party but I soon found myself sitting at home by myself with cocaine being my only friend. It quickly got out of control before I even realized it. In June 2022 I was so exhausted of trying to hid my use that I gave up. I tried to end my life before my family found out or before I had completely destroyed my life. Just before I blacked out I had made a call to a group of my close Marine friends to tell them its not their fault and to not carry any more guilt than they already carried from the many other Marine suicides. They did what Marines are supposed to do and had my back. They called everyone they knew that was close to me and were able to get the police and eat to my house to save me. Since that June night I have been desperately working towards becoming completely sober. I have had some good runs and have seen the potential of how good life can be sober but have struggled with making it my life. I would end up telling myself “you’ve made it 2 months, you should celebrate by breaking your streak.” I have been erasing myself after a relapse and zoning in on things that can cause me to relapse to begin implementing strategies to avoid them. I am in grad school now so stress is very high and my classmates always talking about getting hammered after a wave of tests. This has been one notable trigger and I am working on finding ways to celebrate completing a goal without substances. During breaks from school like the recent Christmas break, I have learned that boredom is an obvious trigger for me. I have all the time to sit and get in my head. I will go to the gym to curve cravings but the gym doesn’t last all day, I need to find more hobbies outside of school to occupy my mind. Things that used to be fun hobbies like video games have been ruined by drugs and alcohol. Since the big COVID plague I would always play video games, drink and do coke. Now a days I can’t enjoy video games without getting very strong craving. I put my console away in the closet out of sight out of mind so I dont try to convince myself that I can handle the urges right now.

I am interested in hearing some of yalls stories and how your lives have changed since becoming sober. I’d also like some of the strategies, tips and hobbies that helped you get a hold of your addiction.

Thank you for taking the time to read my story and hope to hear yours.

7 Likes

Thank you so much for this post and your share. And thank you so much for your service. I am so glad you made it to this community. I had an attempted suicide back in 2013. I’m so glad I found myself out of the depression and, alcohol abuse. There are lots of resources in this community to help you get and stay sober. Do you have a program in place now?

3 Likes

Welcome T! You’re in the right place and not needing to do this hump by yourself.
Um, started in HS… weed, acid, very little booze. Joined the USN in 89’- greenside corpsman- 1/8 I go to desert storm, Oki x 6 yrs with 9th Marines and CEB at Hansen & Schwab… 1st AD at Pendleton… 1/3 Hawaii in Fallujah leave in 07… like you in the rear on base= getting fucked up. Retired in 2010.
Became a full thickness drunk by age 46, rehab x 90 days but somehow made it through PA school in 2011.
I got into AA, it works for me because I feel like it’s a family similar to the Corps. We each look out for our fellow, we all went through similar shit to get here. Strength in numbers brother.
Glad you found this spot and its always okay to ask for help. We all fucking struggle and the struggle is real. Hugs

5 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story.
I too am prior service joined 2011-2019. It was stressful to say the least. My binge drinking and cocaine use was very similar to yours. It was fun in recreation and quietly became my personal fun/habit.
Sobriety was hard at first because so much of my life revolved around drinking. My friends, colleagues, social clubs (rugby is my game and it’s a massive drinking sport).
During Covid I had an opposite experience. In 2020 I began working remotely and within the first month I realized there wasn’t a break between my drinking on the job and drinking after work. I remember being too obliterated to respond to an email and it was a huge wake up call. I was sober 7 months that year before relapsing.
Sobriety showed me that I wasn’t just drinking for fun, I was doing it to cope.
Sobriety isn’t just about getting rid of a substance, it’s about creating a new environment for yourself. Mentally Physically Emotionally healing and allowing yourself room to be who you are without substances. A huge part of my journey hasn’t just been getting away from triggers but also figuring out who I am and who I want to be. Sobriety is the gateway.

I’ll also give huge props to this community. The people here have supported me through a lot. Keep sharing your story and congratulations on your sobriety. I’m glad you’re with us

1 Like