My therapist gave me homework

It seems quite interesting to me that I thought I’d share.

It’s a work sheet about apologizing to someone but instead I’m going to write out another’s apology to me.

I’m to write out the event, then describe how I felt and then add the apology with how they had intended the situation to go.

I think this will be very therapeutic to try and put myself in their shoes too. Not to say that I shouldn’t have been upset about it but that it wasn’t intended to be hurtful.

This seems a lot like a step 4 type of exercise too. Of course therapist thinks I’m not at step 4 yet. She thinks I’m still at step 1…I think I’m step 3.

3 Likes

This is the worksheet. I’m supppsed to write this out from their point of view.

3 Likes

Interesting… I might have to copy this, try it out and come along for the ride!

I’m only confused if I should write it in their voice or my own? I guess am I writing the apology or accepting the apology.

I think in their voice. An exercise on recognizing what people feel from your actions from your point of view…?

Does your therapist practice the steps? Bc if not she is wholely unqualified to tell you where you are at with your steps. That’s why we have sponsors, to take us through the steps.

1 Like

There are a couple reasons why therapists do this exercise. One is to see an event thru another persons perspective. Sometimes it is used as “empathy training”. I have never seen it done this way, kind of interesting.

Addictions is one of her specialties. She works sometimes in recovery centres. She said she worked the steps herself. But she is not a part of AA herself (and not a sponsor) but she supports the 12 step program. I trust her opinion but I still think I’m step 3. :blush:

My tiny brain is going to assplode lol. All I know is that when I tried to do the steps on my own I definitely fucked em all up. Plus when I got a sponsor I just started at the beginning anyway.

Oh I didn’t mean she did the steps on her own. But I think she did the steps as a counsellor rather than an addict. I didn’t question her on it, so it’s just my assumption. I could be wrong. Maybe she was in AA before???

That’s why I’m confused lol. I think everyone could benefit from the steps, but I’ve never actually heard of a normie doing them. It’s still good to see a counselor who supports 12 step groups

1 Like