My wake up call

I would first like to introduce myself my name is celia I’m 30 years old I am an alcoholic. I started drinking at 12 years old .Because of my drinking problem I isolated myself from my family became a gang member and lost my children but thankfully my mother took them in and I am still in their lives .I use to drink everyday then I stopped for six months a couple years back and relapsed I don’t drink everyday anymore but when I do drink I drink overboard I have blackouts and also ended up in jail for a crime I committed when I was under the influence of alcohol today I decided to start going to a.a finally I’m just so tired I drink when I am stressing I drink when I’m angry or when I’m going through problems in my life also when I’m just hanging out with my friends .I am tired of the hangovers I’m tired of waking up with cuts and bruises I can’t explain because I black out. I also need to stop drinking for my health I have various health issues I need to take better care of myself .I’ve had a really hard life growing up and I’m tired of living like this I need help and I admit that now hopefully this forum community will be just what I need in order to stay sober .

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing! You’ve came to the right place and seem to be headed in the right direction, AA. This sober community really is a lot of help, especially in times of need. I’ve found by going to AA and using the app, I’ve found myself staying sober longer than ever before. You dont have to live like that anymore! AA will show you a new way of life. I have a past myself that I’m not proud of. But I have turned my life around for the better. At meetings, Look for the similarities and not the differences. I cant relate to every single thing I hear, but i can always find something in common with someone. Meetings are saving my ass one day at a time!
I’m really glad you’re here and found the app. Also really glad your going to try meetings. I’ve had nothing but success. I wish you the best! I’m always here if you need to talk.

4 Likes

Thank you @Just4Today I hope I can do it this time I may have messed up my life in the past but hopefully I’ll have a better future

2 Likes

Hey Nana! It’s never too late to start a new path in life. Your life, your families lives will all benefit from your decision.

1 Like

I just lost another friend to this disease. It’s not a matter of getting our lives back in order. It’s a matter of being alive at all. This disease wants us dead but it will damn sure settle for miserable.

I was blessed to survive a couple of relapses, but today I was shown just how deadly this disease is.

Sorry about your loss @Englishd …I don’t know why or how I could follow in my dad’s footsteps I always promised myself I would never be like him and that’s exactly what happen to me . Almost everybody in both my mom and dad side of the family drink even my husband drinks but he’s a functional alcoholic I’m not it’s just hard trying not to drink when I’m always around it then I give in what am I supposed to do ?

There’s probably nothing we could have done to prevent becoming who we are. But there’s a lot we can do to change who we are going to become. All I know is there’s nothing on earth that is going to make me drink today.

1 Like

I’m sure it is so very hard to change your way of life when no one around you changes. It’s like swimming against the current. I’ve heard it helps to make new friends who live lives more along the lines of how you want to live, in this case, sober. Going to meetings will help you do that. The main success of AA lies in the creation of a peer group, with peer support and sponsorship. You need to surround yourself as much as possible with sober people. This forum is also a great place to form relationships with people would understand your struggle and want to be sober.

Good luck, work hard, and you can do this. Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Thank you @Ninetales

1 Like