My weekend

So I’m back from my weekend in Ireland at a family wedding, had a great time, such a different type of visit given I was sober.

Friday I had my cousins wedding, it was great, I had no desire to drink and left at 10.30 and drove home with my dad, we had a 2 hour drive and it was lovely to spend time with him sober and just chatting and laughing.

Saturday I spent the day with him too, we had lunch and that evening my mum came home with my niece and nephew, I spent time with them and then visited my best friend and his family and had tea and cake and played charades with his 4 year old, such a laugh and a joyful time.

Today I looked after my niece and nephew and had lunch for fathers day then headed home. Normally on a Sunday morning I’d have been hungover as hell and the idea of looking after a 4 and 6 year old would have been hellish, I just couldn’t have coped.

On the boat home the sun was out, I sat on the deck reflecting at how good it had all been. Normally I would be travelling home with hungover regrets. I just sat with the sea air and took it all in and really felt at peace.

My mum phoned this evening to say how wonderful it was to see me looking so well and said to stay strong and stay on this path, it’s like she knew (a mothers instinct I guess) and told me how proud they are of me. It was great, I am putting this in the life in recovery section to show how good it gets, even just a month in. It’s a platform for me to build on to keep my life on track and I hope it gives strength to anyone in recovery who is struggling or any newcomers starting out.

I would not be this far without you all or AA and I am forever grateful. I feel different this time, I want it for me and not in a selfish way, as if I keep progressing I can continue to contribute positively to the lives of those I love most and also help anyone struggling with addiction.

21 Likes

Great to hear how good it was-- and it just keeps getting better

1 Like

I am so glad you had a good time. Keep up the great work!

1 Like

Great post, as usual @Daithi :grin:
We may think people don’t know that we have a bad relationship with alcohol. But the truth is, it’s really noticeable all around when we get sober.

1 Like

Wonderfull , love this post x

1 Like

Aww well done @Daithi. Sounds just great. A great feeling going to family things and keeping it all together. Especially an Irish wedding. Are they not ment to last for days??. Coming home on boat sounds amazing sitting on the deck with sun beating down . Scotland/Ireland has had some fab weather recently… Keep staying positive…congrats :grin::shamrock::ok_hand:

1 Like

What wonderful memories you made for you and those around you…I love that. You should be very proud of yourself.

Thanks everyone, really happy at the moment, things are taking shape, need to keep on focusing on the jigsaw of life. I know my higher power is at work.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for posting this. What a beautiful picture you painted of family, making connections, enjoying life to the fullest. I am only on day 2. I keep restarting and trying to “moderate” my wine habit. I know alcohol is cunning, a thief, and a liar. It robs me of connection and pure peace and joy. Again, thank you for taking the time to share and paint this beautiful picture.

1 Like

Thank you for posting @Daithi! It sounds like a wonderful trip and many beautiful memories. It’s amazing the different perspective we have when we are no longer a slave to alcohol. I am so very happy for you!