My weight is out of control (TW food/diet)

Try to eat all your meals in a 10-12 hour window to start, then you can try 9 or 8 or less, but ive read that at the very least, giving your body 12 hours of fasting helps a lot. I wait until 1030 or 11am for my first meal, until I’m really hungry. I have a smoothie with spinach or other dark leafy greens, blueberries, avocado, protein powder, flax seeds and chia seeds, and a little coconut oil. Keeps me satisfied for a while.
For other meals its lots of veg (at least 2/3 of my plate) a little lean, clean protein, and some healthy fat. I don’t eat any bread or tortillas or pasta. I eat very little cheese or dairy.
Snacks are nuts snd fruit and almond butter.
Not gonna lie, i love sweets. I’ve been experimenting with paleo desserts and have found a few that satisfy cravings, so im trying to fully cut out sugar and white flour. But i definitely indulge, thats the alcoholic in me!!
Yoga, running, hiking, weights. Yoga with Adriene channel on YouTube every morning before work to get me moving.
Ive dropped almost 15 lbs since I got sober so it seems to be working even though I can’t quite shake my sweet tooth.:wink:

5 Likes

Maybe give martial arts a try. If you aren’t big on physical contact, Tai Chi is good. I’ve tried it a few times.

Snowshoeing is a great workout and a lot of fun…plus better than post holing!

Winter hiking is also a great workout and fun, as long as you dress in layers and wear the right materials (wicking, not cotton).

Winter running was my absolute favorite tho. Makes you feel super bad ass. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Ok. I’m going to start with cutting my portion sizes. I get so much pressure over “family meals” that I don’t think I can change how I eat too much. I do eat lots of veggies etc but I probably eat too much. I also should work on my carb intake such as breads and pastas.

As for exercise I’m anxiously awaiting spring so I can get moving outdoors again. I would like to take up running again. I’ll be back to the couch level though!!

We do have a LOT of equipment at home so I can easily workout anyway I like, but I’m very uncomfortable working out with others in the house. I would prefer privacy but that doesn’t exist in my house. I’ll need to make sure I get private time. Such as I don’t think first thing in am would work because I’d never know if my hubby would get up for his own workout. That may sound odd since we would both be working out but I feel self conscious. I don’t feel that at a gym but I do at home. (I really am a basket case, aren’t I??)

2 Likes

Saw this morning and laughed out loud. Now I understand. :joy:

9 Likes

That is so funny! And in reality, losing weight is mostly what we eat and drink as opposed to working out. Working out has a multitude of benefits, can help you lose weight, but it can’t reverse poor eating habits.

2 Likes

Yes. I do agree with this.

1 Like

Plump as a partridge :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Well I pulled out my handy dandy weight watchers app (or WW now). I get that today was travel day eating what airport good we could find in the middle of the night plus other car snacks. I’ve gone over my daily points before dinner. Ugh. I’m hungry.

Tomorrow will be better.

1 Like

What yoga on youtube?

1 Like

Oh there are tons of videos on Yoga on YouTube from beginners to advanced! I love it!

2 Likes

Awesome thank you!!

A couple years ago, I used Keto to lose about 20#.

I know you probably know this…but there are plenty of Vegan Keto cookbooks and recipes on Pinterest. planning meals ahead and calculating the macros ahead of time (like on Carb Manager app) really helped me stay on track.

4 Likes

Interesting to see this post come back to life. Here I am 4 years later and still overweight. I am still trying to be healthier but not stressing about the scale. If I’m honest I probably need to lose about 25lbs but these days all I’m focused on is longevity. I have no chronic medical conditions requiring regular medication and that matters a lot to me.

So I’ve started at the gym and I am once again trying to clean up my diet so……we’ll see. :grin:

6 Likes

I also look at not having to take medications as one of the signs of health for myself (plus how I feel when running), so now that the numbers are creeping in that direction, I am more focused on finding ways to stabilize them/me.

Hope you enjoy the gym! I miss the fitness classes that were available where we used to live, they were fun and effective.

1 Like

So far I’ve been quick in and out. I walk to and from the gym do that is my cardio. Then it’s just a short weights session….upper or lower body. I am still feeling a bit intimidated even though I used to live at the gym I’m my 20s and 30s. But I’m confident in a few weeks I’ll start feeling more comfortable and do more.

I miss my old kettlebell classes though. They were intense.

5 Likes

That sounds perfect!! And I am sure you are right and will gain confidence. I loved kettlebells as well. Enjoy!!!

Heather Robertson has some nice kettlebell workouts on YT. I like her workouts.