NA type options for a complex situation?

Hi
My brother is prescribed a low level of pain meds and a variety of psychiatric meds for his diagnosed mental illnesses and for chronic pain from a combat injury. About 12 years ago he want through detox and rehab for his addiction to fentanyl and he has managed to stay within his prescribed amounts of his meds for the past 12 years. He has several diagnoses of mental illness.

I’m reaching out here to ask if anyone can recommend online or in person group support, possibly 12 step, that can assist him and his wife with understanding how his past addiction is still impacting his life, and their marriage? They are also former cocaine users and she probably is struggling with alcoholism.

I’m asking because he is nervous that if he tries to join an NA group he will face rejection and shame due to still being prescribed meds. He has significant anxiety. He is significantly bipolar and struggles with multiple aspects of PTSD.

Can anyone point me toward resources like an online group or materials that could help these two work on this issue as part of their marital troubles? Her therapist is suggesting that the marital issues are due to his drug experiences.

Thank you in advance for any information.

2 Likes

Check out dual recovery its for people with addiction and mental health issues. Its kinda like aa but open to the fact of maintenance medication

4 Likes

This is so helpful. Thank you so much!!

3 Likes

When you click on find online meetings, they have zoom meeting links listed but i think youd have to adjust the time depending on the time zone. They also have a facebook chat page if they are into social media.

I can understand the nervousness about attending NA meetings while on prescribed meds. I initally felt this negative feedback bcuz i am on mental health medication. Some said that i was not actually clean bcuz i was taking meds THAT I NEED to give me a fighting chance at being clean and sober. If he does decide to attend NA meetings, no one needs to know that he is on meds. He doesnt have to mention it unless he really wants to. I personally found it best to not talk about my meds bcuz opinions are like butt holes… everybody has one lol and people like to state their opinions without realizing the effect that it may have on others. This is his recovery and his journey :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You might find support groups that are mental health oriented through NAMI or MHA (Mental Health America). I know here we have local chapters of both but their websites have been useful to me in the past. I think you’re US based but I’m sorry if I’m wrong about that. Sometimes there are vets specific groups, dual diagnosis/cooccurring disorder groups or groups for family and friends, also. I don’t know if support through the VA is a good option or not (plenty of challenges going that route). If those two organizations don’t offer groups locally for you, they certainly can point you toward other services.

Best of luck on this journey - so kind of you to look into what’s available for your brother as it’s hard to advocate for oneself when things are challenging.

5 Likes