Naltrexone question

Anyone here experience any brain fog and general funkyness on Naltrexone? I’m 2 weeks sober and started Naltrexone 3 days ago, in addition to the fog feels like my skins crawling a bit. Thanks in advance for any replies, I want to stick with it and see if this might be normal.

2 Likes

I decided to come off of any extra meds but I was on it before. Yes it did make me a little drowsy but I think it is a very helpful med in trying to curb any cravings you might get. Maybe try taking it at night if you are not already. Also most meds take a little time to get used to.

1 Like

It could be a combination your freshly sober and you started a new med.

I stopped taking naltrexone after about 90 days, but overall the brain fog lifted at about 30 days

1 Like

Thanks guys.

I’m on it and it’s the only thing that helped me get past 14 days. Then I stopped and relapsed. Now I’m on day 1 all over again and think I wouldn’t have gotten through the day 1 without the naltrexone. It makes me feel a bit nauseus and there is a brain fog but not as much as the brain fog of drinking. So it’s definitely worth it for me

When I started on naltrexone, I was 5 days clean so I don’t think I can attribute anything I was feeling to that and not withdrawals from opiates. I do know that naltrexone did what it was intended to do for me. Physically it helped keep cravings at bay. Mentally, it helped because I believed if I used I wouldn’t feel anything. After being on it for 30 days, I switched to Vivitrol, so I wouldn’t have to worry about either missing a dose or purposely not taking it so I could feel the opiates if I took them again. Having 30 days of coverage after each injection was huge to my recovery. I took Vivitrol for a year before I decided that if I was going to stay clean, I needed to do it without needing something to help. I would shout the positives from the highest mountain about how much naltrexone helped me.

NEVER CRAVE ALONE

2 Likes

I just started Naltrexone today and it’s been rough. I’ve felt nauseous off and on, and like you said, “funky” and out of it. I took the half dose, 25 mg, as recommended, but will cut it down to 12.5 MG tomorrow and stay on that until I adjust to it. I really hope to get past the side effects because it works! I haven’t had the slightest craving for alcohol. It’s amazing.

1 Like

Everyone is different. It gave me insomnia for weeks. I was exhausted and cloudy. I ended up stopping and getting into AA and took a different approach. It definitely works tho! It’s one of the most effective medical treatments for addiction. Stick with it, most meds can have side effects in the very beginning.

1 Like

2 weeks later and feeling no ill effects from Naltrexone, still sober, feeling a little flat at times but I think that’s more my brain adjusting to life without substances.

1 Like