Natural disasters

What have you all experienced?

I’m from the U.K. so we are so lucky- don’t get volcanic eruptions, tsnamis, twisters, earthquakes etc…

Worst we get are floods, hurricanes and fires

Sorry if my topics are boring, I’m just trying to fill my sober days

1 Like

Hey that’s not true, there was a 3.1 earthquake in Birmingham a few years ago and someone’s chimney fell off :rofl:

1 Like

Did a tree fall too? :joy:

We get some pretty gnarly blizzards here (Boston area), most of the northeast US can say that (they may even get it worse in upstate NY). Often referred to as Nor’easters. 2-3’, sometimes more. Often times numerous each winter. We have designated “snow farms” where all the removed snow gets dumped, nowhere else to put it all.

Even our “normal” snowstorms that we laugh off would usually be enough to cripple anywhere else for a day or two.

1 Like

In Montana we have fires all over in VA rehab 44 days today best thing I ever did after 40 years of meth dealing to using glad it’s over for me

1 Like

We had two large oak trees snap off and land on our roof last September from Hurricane Irma. We get a couple of good tropical storms each year and the past couple of years, we had the hurricanes. In Jacksonville (NE Florida), we have been pretty lucky overall the past couple of decades.

1 Like

We’ve had earthquakes,but usually tropical waves,tropical storms,and hurricanes. Had a horrible hurricane last year September. Oh I’m in the Caribbean for those who don’t know lol

I live in Northern California. We don’t get anything but perfect weather. We have been in a drought for fucking ever but that is only because we have not built any dams since the 1970s and we let Southern California have all our water. As result California is pretty much always on fire…

1 Like

We are about an hour south of @Charlie_C right outside of Flagler Beach. We sustained damage in Hurricane Matthew 2 years ago. We are surrounded by 90 foot tall 6 foot wide live oaks. Our little area was particularly hard hit, because it had been so long since a serious storm came thru and the canopy is so high here. Last year Hurricane Irma treated us better, though we still have flooding and roads washing out that have not recovered, some still closed and flooded.

I used to live up north and have been through many blizzards and ice storms. My snow shoveling, digging cars out of snowbanks and driving with chains days are over I hope.

Fingers crossed for a quiet hurricane season for everyone.

1 Like

I lived in the Florida keys for a while as an assistant scuba dive instructor. We went through a hurricane but it wasn’t that bad, the island shuts down and it’s a “hurricane party”. Everybody drinks and huddled in lol oh to be 20 again :joy:

Live in north Idaho now- my hometown- we get some tough winters and lots of wildfires in the summer.

I’m sure we pay a pretty penny for that water :rofl: and it’s so scary all these fires everywhere… every year.

Wildest thing I have ever experienced was riding a hurricane out at sea. The most intense days of my life.

3 Likes

Been through a couple of ex-tropical cyclones here in Brisbane. Usually by the time they get down to us its just a whole lot of rain for a day or so. Had a lot of major floods here as well

1 Like

I’ve lived in random parts of the US. I’ve experienced too many hurricanes, 2 tornadoes, 1 earthquake, flooding…I’ve been near volcanoes, but none of them have erupted haha

1 Like

We got 150 inches of snow last year in Syracuse

1 Like

I made the shoutout to upstate NY specifically with you and @anon53189373 in mind. You folks know a bit about snow out that way.

1 Like

We didn’t have to many big storms. Just a bunch of 10-16 inch storms

I have family in Palm Coast, they must be near you

2 Likes

Amen, huh?

1 Like

I’ve been a disaster services counselor with the American Red Cross and have traveled to New Orleans with Hurricane Katrina, New Jersey with Hurricane Sandy, and Texas with Hurricane Ike.

3 Likes