Need advise

I haven’t been drunk in 168 days but last night I finally gave in and went to an open bar. I had four and a half drinks over the course of three hours and I felt fine and didn’t get too drunk but I did feel tipsy and very friendly. It went ok but I woke up in the middle of the night wither extreme guilt and worry and couldn’t fall back to sleep for an hour. I kept thinking about every little thing that happened and couldn’t stop the anxiety. Is this normal? Any advice ?

Why did you have anxiety? You ask is this normal. Hmm you are in a recovery group discussing a slip as just the same as the previous 168 days. I’m not trying to be an ass but what part of this sounds normal. If you are trying to get 150-167 day stretches in then you are doing it as good as possible and that might be the base line for your normal. If you want to quit and you had a set back then own that and decide how to stop before you get to this point next time. Listen I don’t think one addict has ever been in active addiction one day and the next it’s just over. We all have fell, we all tried to convince ourselves we really don’t have a problem. It’s the deciding what to do now that you should focus on. Set up a grounded recovery plan for yourself. And constantly re-evaluate it or tend to it.

5 Likes

I’m right about where you are,175 days. I am not here to say how you should feel. You said it yourself,“It went o.k.” I couldn’t do this and then say that. You have to decide for yourself what you want. You chose to purposely go to a place serving alcohol and order drinks,so what do you think? Good luck to you with your decisions.

1 Like

Yeah you’re right … just to clarify it was an annual work event that I felt extremely pressured to go to… I originally didn’t want to go but then I felt like I’m 23 I deserve to have fun which I know was wrong… it was just hard in the moment to say no

1 Like

Jessica,fun is never wrong,its about deciding what we think is fun. Stay with it,you will get it.

1 Like

Well, the anxious mind more than likely stems from the battle of your conscious mind vs. alcohol voice/mind being woken up. AV: we were able to drink in moderation, I didn’t do anything stupid. We might be cured? These are all rational questions/statements that at least unconsciously is going thru your mind.

Maybe you can drink once a year? It’s not my place to tell you what you can and can’t do. Only you know what you can handle, and what influence and control alcohol has on you.

12 days ago I had 5 drinks, same place your at right now. I personally counted that as a victory that I didn’t jump into my old habits, but I did hit reset and pressed on.