Need encouragement to stay sober

Good morning
I am new here. Sober 3 days, it’s not long but I feel good about my accomplishment. I was more of a binge drinker(weekends), I would have one drink and then couldn’t stop. Then Covid hit, I retired in February and then total shut down in March. This is when things started turning. My go to is wine and when you drink the boxed wine you can sneak it easier, for a while anyway. I decided Last Thursday I was done. Tied one on and Friday stopped. I keep looking into the future and wonder how I will handle things, I know I should focus on today. Any words of encouragement would be appreciated.

10 Likes

@Gaert three days sober is a big step, today another one.
Being here: other one. Brick by brick we rebuild the house destroyed by our wrong choices but we are not alone in this task, no if we connect

2 Likes

Try a zoom meeting might help

4 Likes

Congratulations on getting started :slight_smile:
I have never tried a zoom meeting but it seems to help others, everyone’s jouney is different, so yes def give that a try.
Just remember, It gets easier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m taking it second by second. One moment I’ll be fine and happy go lucky the next I’m thinking about stopping for beer on the way home.
We got this though

3 Likes

Welcome Anne!!! Happy to have you here! 3 days is a great start! Each week accomplished will help your stay strong :heart:

2 Likes

It’s that old habit telling you to stop and get beer. Be stronger than it; I know it’s so hard at the beginning but I promise you, things will be so much better!:blush:

3 Likes

You’re absolutely right. Thank you

2 Likes

I always tell new people around here the same thing. That is that no amount of sober time will ever make us able to drink like a normal person. Period! This has been proven more times than anyone could ever count. There are countless stories on this forum of folks that have tried to prove this fact wrong. All they got was right back where they started. drunk and heartbroken

So right now you are doing great! Keep it up. Just be wary of thinking that you were sober for a bit and you can control it now. That way only leads to failure for folk like us.

Best wishes

9 Likes

congrats on 3 days! keep on, keep it on! :heart:

2 Likes

3 days is great! You’ve started your journey. Take it day by day (hour by hour or minute by minute if you have too.) Restart some old hobbies or find new ones. Come here read, read, READ and read again. Post early and often. You’ve found a great group of people here who will be one more like a family. We ALL got your back and are rooting for you! You CAN do this! Don’t be a stranger and welcome friend!

3 Likes

Welcome. Drink lots of water.

1 Like

Hi @Gaert, and welcome to Talking Sober! As far as encouragement, I can only tell you sober is better. Than anything. I’ve heard, and come to believe, that there is nothing so bad that a drink won’t make it worse. And adding a drink to something good will inevitably make that worse, too.

I’ve had a lot of success and a lot of sorrow in sobriety. But all things, good or bad, will pass and something else will take their place. So all emotional states, and the situations that give rise to them or give voice to them, are temporary. Even a powerful craving for a drink, even a powerful urge to suppress a feeling, even those will pass. Sober will last, if we don’t drink.

To keep sober, I have to do two things. First, I resolve each day not to drink today. Second, each day I start implementing a realistic plan to get me there. I need help not drinking - my history proves time and again and again and again that I cannot stop myself from drinking on my own resources. So my plan to not drink each day starts with a request every day “Help me to stay sober today. Help me to know and to do the right thing.”

How we each give shape and meaning to that power greater than our own resources is an individual journey - there is no right or wrong way to get there or to be there or to stay there.

One day, the universe smiled on me in a moment of crisis, and I knew everything was gonna be alright and that I would be able to quit drinking. Knew it in my soul and felt it in my bones. I put a lot of work into getting and staying sober, but that was my foundation and I trust it still today.

Every little thing is gonna be alright. You will be able to stop drinking.

Blessings on your house :pray:

2 Likes

Live meetings are picking up again around here. Not the same as pre-pandemic times (no hugs and no coffee), but it’s good to see the joy and healing in the eyes of our brothers and sisters!

2 Likes

I am a binge drinker. It has been a slippery slope for many many years. Now that I have been sober 300+ days I can see that binge drinking is alcoholism. Not being able to stop once started IS the problem. So now not starting is the solution.

3 Likes