Need help...effexor?

I started taking effexor first week of September and I honestly feel like it’s making my depression worse it helped at first but now about mid day I just feel drained and wiped out… I’m new to this so please help… my depression is a major trigger for me but I’ve always self medicated want to do it right this time

I tried effexor at one time, it didn’t help me much either… Have you talked to your psychiatrist about the symptoms you have been experiencing, the worsening depression? Because it seems to me that a month is a long enough time to judge it’s potential benefits, or lack thereof…

1 Like

The psychiatrist I seen was while I was in prison… Trying to find somewhere now to go that’s affordable

I took Effexor before. It kept me up at night. My doctor switched me to celexa (generic is citalopram) which I like a lot better. I recently had to increase my dose because of SAD. It’s still working well after several months though. I hope you find something that works for you. It makes a huge difference.

1 Like

Oh that’s got to be kinda stressful huh? :confused: Well, please forgive me if you know this already, but don’t just stop taking it. If you stop without tapering, it can cause some unpleasant side effects.

1 Like

Effexor helped me through a rough patch with depression but coming off of it was horrible. Withdrawl was tough. If it isn’t agreeing with you now, don’t be afraid of working with your doctor to see what other options might help.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard that…I have one day left and was going to try to get to a Dr ASAP but you’re telling me I better just go ahead and pay to get it this time? I’ve only been out of prison 5 days lol trying to get used to everything again a lot has changed in 2 years lol

2 Likes

Most advice is to not just stop taking antidepressants without talking to your doctor because the withdrawals can be tricky.

It can take a while to get the dose right, or you might find that it isn’t the right one for you. Everyone has different reactions to different types of antidepressant.

3 Likes

I was a guinea pig for 12 yrs from drs if getting off drugs alcohol changing your diet and exercising don’t help then I’d suggest trying the white coat scums poison

1 Like

It’s not a good idea to just stop, yeah. :confused: For example, i was on an antidepressant called welbutrin. I was on it for 2 or 3 months, then I decided I was done with it, and with psychiatry in general (lol). So I stopped without tapering off, and within 48 hours I was suffering from severe migraines, nausea, and vomiting. The symptoms went away, and of course welbutrin in is a totally different drug, but I would be concerned about it with effexor, or any ssri or snri drug.

I don’t mean to freak you out, but I wouldn’t wish those symptoms on anyone.

2 Likes

Thank you so much!! No your advice really helped!! :blush: I am very serious about this because I know getting my depression under control is going to keep me sober

2 Likes

I did that with with lexapro the withdrawals were horrible.the headaches were unreal…thing was I never needed all the crap they put me on actually just made me worse and a zombie.never talked to me just take this and I trusted drs then.i hate psych drs have no respect for them people are just guinea pigs for them to try out the latest poison.i hear it all the time from people oh my Dr wants to try me on this instead of stop getting drunk smoking weed using meth or lose some weight stop eating fast food every day change your lifestyle just try this or that then you see the person down the road they have no life in them they put on heka weight still suicidal still manic there problems never changed just masked by a drug smh it’s sad I see and hear it all the time.

1 Like

You know, for some people psychiatric medicine just isn’t the answer. I’m one of those people, like you. But there are some for whom psychiatry works really well. Or even others for whom simply therapy with mom medication works wonders. It all depends.

I’m sorry you went through all that agony though. :confused:

1 Like

Ya I got a buddy who’s schizophrenic he needs it but they over medicate him he’s a zombie I can hear him drooling over the phone.dont get me wrong some people do need it I just think that should be last resort.most people want the quick way out don’t wanna put any work in just take a pill.i was like that with pain killers when I swan dived off a airplane.instead of stretching physical therapy was like I’ll just take narcotics.after 5 yrs of that I learned they really just make you hurt more was sick of waking up sick every morning so I stopped.now I stretch I lost the 100 pounds all the other psych meds made me gain I work again I exercise I eat better I was just smoked waaaay to much weed :grin:thing is everytime I hear someone tell me there depressed bipolar etc n they take this pill and that pill they drink everyday and use drugs the pills are void and they wonder why there losing there mind i see it everytime.all those 12 yrs I was on the crap was in and out the psych ward I talked to alot of people same story different person every single time and the drs did the same to each of um drug um try this try that never any counseling just drugs…I haven’t been back to the nut farm since I came off that poison.idk that’s my opinion and I say that with 12 yrs experience myself and talking to alot of people and alot of horrible stories of going to the er cause the poison they put me on…thanks for the luv it sucked but I learned alot and made me a wiser stronger person not sure if it was worth it lost 12 yrs of my life and ruined my body

1 Like

Definitely talk to a doctor. It can take a couple tries to get meds and dosages right. Everyone responds differently to different meds and maybe Effexor isn’t your jam. Apparently there is a blood test you can take to see which antidepressants are a better match than others, but I hear it is expensive and insurance often won’t cover it (in the US).

I am on Effexor and it took some time for my brain to equilibrate (a couple weeks?) I do get a lot more tired now (but I could just be getting old lol). Discontinuation from Effexor is ROUGH. If I miss a few doses, I am going to have a bad time. It needs a slow supervised taper. Anyway, best to talk to your doctor. I am sorry you are feeling bad. I know it can be such a struggle to get meds right. I hope you can get to feeling better soon!

1 Like

Thanks for all your advice guys :blush:

Yes. Dont stop your medication abruptly. See a Dr. Asap. Hang in there and welcome home.

1 Like

Thanks :yum: it’s great to be home… COVID is definitely making it weird to get used to it’s a whole new world to me lol

1 Like

Take it slow sister and just keep doing the next right thing.

1 Like

Its a enzyme test to see how your body metabolizes the medication.and yes it’s expensive Ive had one before

1 Like