Need new friends. Old friends sucks

I noticed the more I sober up. The more I realize my friends sucks

5 Likes

They have different priorities than you do. So, we change our behavior and our environment or we risk going back to the old ways.
I haven’t been in a bar in nearly 3 years.

3 Likes

That’s what happens when we get sober… it suxs but it’s a truth we have to deal with… another reason meeting are important… they provide us with the opportunity to meet new sober friends.

2 Likes

I hear you. I have “friends” that have actually told me they don’t want to hang out if I’m trying to get sober/stopping drinking.

2 Likes

over the decades ive no friends from the past just new sober ones i meet at meetings

4 Likes

I only have 3 friends from my past because I never did them wrong and they never did me wrong and they respect my sobriety and in today’s world it’s hard to find someone to call on that will answer and be dependable so I’m glad I have them just as if they need me I will be there but as for new friends I only have 2. My girlfriend and a mutual friend of ours and that’s all I need. Better to have a close circle of friends you can trust and depend on in a jam than a lot of “friends” that do nothing for you and only want to take than talk behind your back. I’m trying to stay away from negative people. I had to stop a friendship I had of 15 years due to this because the person would always call me when they needed help and I’d run even at 3am but the few times I needed something (because I don’t like asking for help) she said she was busy…as if I wasn’t busy when she called. Now my girlfriend is starting to see what I see in this girl and has pulled away which has led to this girl talking shit about us both. Not worth the energy to maintain people like that in your life

3 Likes

I have been fortunate in that I’ve always been very discerning when it comes to friends. I’ve never had time for superficial friendships. I haven’t lost a single friend since I quit drinking, and all of my friends have been respectful and encouraging regarding my choice to live sober. A few have even confessed a bit of envy. One told me that I inspired him to quit for 90 days to prove to himself that he can. Another told me he decided not to drink during lockdown, for fear it might get out of control.

5 Likes

I’ve had a very similar experience. Very fortunate to have friends that are supportive. There were only 2 people in my life that I could identify as having substance abuse problems when I decided to get sober. One of them followed in my footsteps and stopped drinking about a month after I did. The other continues to drink but has told me she’s proud of me every single time I talk to her and has never tried to get me to partake.

4 Likes