Needed an update craving alcohol

Hi all I’ve reached the 14 day mark feeling good mentally but there is still that little voice going through my head saying your fine now go and get some drink can’t seem to shake it today but have still managed to stay sober today

3 Likes

Very true I’ve found a new tv show I like … Hunters so I’ve been having a binge on that instead of alcohol I’m sure the craving will past just need to post on here and vent

2 Likes

Whenever that voice starts talking, I just “play the tape” of my drinking highlight reel. I know that that one drink will lead to two, then three, then shots, etc…then I’m trying to fight random people and cops, yelling at people, fighting with my girlfriend, missing work, puking, basically dying on the couch…I’ll probably drive home, might even hit something…

The tape reminds me it’s not worth it.

2 Likes

Yeah mine leads to days on end of topping up and morning drinking not going to work isolation suicidal thoughts debt all that not so fun stuff

Stay Strong Bayley :muscle: You got this, that’s right play the tape,then crush it and burn it,then switch the tape out for the Rocky theme song,drink coffee and do some push ups,it’s hard but stay focused

1 Like

Thanks :raised_hands::muscle: I have guitar group tomorrow so something to look forward to staying sober for

1 Like

Right on man,definitely something to look forward to I play guitar as well,and it definitely helps when cravings arise,nothing more peaceful than the beautiful sounds of vibrating guitar strings.stay sober and play your guitar :guitar:my friend.

1 Like

One of the biggest challenges for me in staying on path is ignoring the “normality” of drinking alcohol. When I see or hear people drinking. I find myself frustrated. I think, “They make themselves look so casual, so okay and in control. why can’t I behave like that? Maybe I can do that…” and then what may have began as moderation on day one eventually becomes binging days later, and I am back at step one. :woman_facepalming:
I now understand that I use alcohol to minimize myself, to not feel, to avoid situations or thoughts…and I need to focus on what is good for -me,- even if that means I am the only one without a glass. Not drinking is a goal I set myself on because I am trying to be okay with experiencing all parts of me and I know that, at this time, alcohol is too easy for me to hide behind.
I have to remind myself on why alcohol became a problem and what I am hoping to change. I think that is why you are here today too.

Tell me, what are you hoping to reach?

6 Likes

Yeah Heather I can totally relate to what your saying I don’t really know what I’m trying to achieve peace of mind I suppose mainly I’ve been signed off work with depression and anxiety plus receiving sick benefit so it’s a perfect chance to try to get my life back in track I know I’ll lose everything and won’t achieve anything in life if I was to continue down the road I was on recently I’m finding it hard to get through the door at meetings I seem to have developed some kind of fear of walking through the door but I’m trying to beat it

1 Like

yeah felt like that today, even thought about having a strawberry cocktail bc it’s not really alcohol if it taste like strawberries. 114 days and the mind still thinks it can fool me. Well done on being strong, stay positive and grounded. We got fooled for years we won’t get fooled again.

1 Like

You too stay strong :muscle:

1 Like