Nervous for My First AA Meeting

Hi there! I am brand new to this.
I am going to my first AA Meeting tomorrow.
I am super nervous and don’t know what to expect.
If anyone could reach out and give me advice, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks!
Meg

12 Likes

You dont need to be nervous at all. You will be with people who will make you feel comfortable. Just be honest if you feel like talking about what is going on. If you dont feel like talking just simply say it’s my first meeting and I am going to listen tonight. It’s really that easy. I was nervous at my first one too but I walked in set down and all was fine.

5 Likes

Hey Meg, welcome! I’m so glad you are going to your first meeting. My best advice is just make sure you get yourself through that door. If you can, get there a few minutes early and tell someone there that it is your first meeting. They should sort you out. And let us know how it goes. It has been a life changer for me. I’m off to meet part of my awesome sober lady crew for dinner then a meeting together. :bird:

8 Likes

I’m glad you made this decision Meg, I am also glad you are here.:pray::pray::grin::grin:

3 Likes

Thank you.
I am so nervous to walk through that door.
I know I have a problem and need help.
I’m super sensitive and emotional.
My emotions get the best of me and I want to drink to not “feel” those kinds of emotions.
So I pray tomorrow experience will be a good one.

6 Likes

Thank you so very much!

1 Like

Thank you.
I feel I will just want to listen.
I want to take it all in.

1 Like

Thank you. :pray:

Thank you. :pray::pray:

If I can share anything from my experience it is that the hardest part was just walking thru the door. Which if I may be completely Frank about, I was apprehensive af about!! BUT after walking thru the door I was greeted with a hug and a warm welcome. Now, I’m not normally a touchy feely kind of guy but it was exactly what I needed. All meetings differ in some way but what doesn’t is the support.

You got this.

Please let us know how it goes :grinning::call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Thank you so much for your reply.
I’m hoping for the best.
Putting my faith in God.
I will definitely let you know.
:pray:

3 Likes

Well your alot braver than me. I hope you get everything you need from it and wish you well on your journey. Its a bumpy road with no short cuts and far too many crossroads but we’ll be with you at every turn. Be strong.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. :pray:

1 Like

One of the best decisions you’ll ever make. Here’s my newcomers advice to you. Make sure you introduce yourself as a newcomer. You don’t have to share, so don’t feel pressured to do so. Listen to what’s said, but don’t feel overwhelmed by what you hear. Get a schedule and and don’t leave without a phone list. NEVER CRAVE ALONE Once you get the phone list use it. If you want to drink, call someone on that list. It doesn’t matter if you know anyone on the list, call someone. They’ve been where you are right now and can help you get through the urge to use. You never have to drink again even if you want to. Let us know how things went.

6 Likes

Thank you.
I will definitely identify myself as a newcomer.
I will get a phone list.
I really like that idea.
Thank you!

4 Likes

Great replies here - they say it all really. Try to get there 10 to 15 minutes early and just tell people you are new - I’m pretty sure you’ll meet with immediate love and positivity, but people won’t fuss unduly. They’ll just let you know how happy they are for you. Otherwise just try to leave with a couple of people’s numbers. Sit back, listen and enjoy!

3 Likes

I’m going to a new meeting tomorrow. I go every Monday night but want to try this one because they include meditation. I’m not sure why I’m so nervous, I love my other meeting, I’ve never felt more comfortable with a group of people. Just part of being human I guess.
Can’t wait to hear about your meeting.

6 Likes

I was told “take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth” you have nothing to be nervous about. The people in AA are the most genuine, kind people you will ever meet. Just make sure you go and continue going. I know it seems intimidating at first, but you’ll be fine. Just drink some coffee and listen. God bless!

3 Likes

Introduce yourself when they ask if they are any newcomers. You’re one of the most important people there. I felt right at home at my first meeting, like I fit in. So welcoming and honest. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Let me know how your meeting goes today. I am proud that you are going to a meeting tonight. It so great to see people strong and willing to beat this, so that they can live free of this smothering, imprisoning, miserable thing we call addiction. Prayers have already been said for you and your journey.

5 Likes