New and improved

I am new and I am definitely open for anyone who needs a chat to message me

I’m a 24 years old woman, a newly graduated university student who used my final months as a student as an excuse to continuously drink.

Before this, the pandemic, how could anyone forget? A terrible and frankly heartbreaking time which of course meant 24/7 drinking. Drinking through my deadlines through my final year and my masters degree and using the pandemic as an excuse for unsubmitted, or poorly attempted assignments.

Before this, my best friend and I moved back in together after she did a year of work experience while I went on to finish my final year of uni. It was also my final year of university, so again, go big or go home before I go into the big wide world of work. Meaning? Excuse to drink a lot.

Before this my boyfriend of 4.5 years moved country for a study abroad year and after 6 weeks of being there, he dumped me. Which I mean? Hellooooo! Victim here I come, drinky drinky drinkyyyyyyy time 24/7.

When I say constantly I mean constantly. I would wake up in the morning and think of having a drink and occasionally I would have a drink if I was feeling stressed or a bit hungover or really any emotion I felt I could 100% justify it. No matter what, I could justify it. I could go on and on but that’s not what we’re here for.

This could also seem kind of pointless and it probably is, but I always told myself I didn’t have a problem because of the aforementioned reasons.

This is me accepting I do.

This is me welcoming the rest of my life.

This is me acknowledging that there are going to be definite challenges, probable setbacks and the occasional rubbish post like this.

I am new and I am definitely open for anyone who needs a chat to message me

8 Likes

Welcome CeeDee! You are not alone - so many people here have been in your shoes.

I bet you will identify with Sassy’s story here:

She has a good list there of reasons to stay sober :innocent:

Welcome to Talking Sober! Don’t ever give up on yourself: you’re a good person, a worthy person, and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self. :innocent:

2 Likes

This was so helpful! I’m saving it :relaxed: Thanks so much Matt!

2 Likes

My pleasure CeeDee. I hope it’s helpful :innocent:

1 Like

Welcome! We are great at finding excuses to drink, aren’t we? I know I celebrated good days, commiserated bad days, and then the ordinary days needed an alcohol pep too. The idea that u ‘deserve’ a drink needs to change to ‘I deserve a sober life’, and u do!

2 Likes

Hi CeeDee and welcome,
Yes, we always find an excuse to drink have we :expressionless:
Glad I’ve got rid of that and so can you.
Read here and read here a lot! Use the magnificent glass above to find all the treads you found interesting. Tips about how to quit, what helps with bad sleep, what are relapse dreams, how to be around people who are drinking, where to find nice alcohol free beverages, where to find AA meetings, how to beat cravings, etc.

Feel free to ask me (almost :sunglasses:) anything!
See you around! :raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes