New and unsure

Hi guys. Im new here downloaded the app and have been reading the forum for 3 days now. Im so happy to have found this place.

My story is i dont drink every day, but when i do it usually roll into a 3/4/5 day drinking session. Which afterwards i tell myself im not drinking again and feel terrible about myself. During my sober days i have mild anxeity, the sweats and insomnia. Then i drink again. This cycle has been repeating for just over a year now.

Im not sure if im an alcoholic but i certainly have a problem with alcohol. My other problem is my partner also enjoys a drink and is often the person to suggest we drink and i have 0 will power.

Not sure what im going to get out of this post because i seem to be rambling but it feels good to speak about it as noone around me, other than my partner know i drink this much.

4 Likes

I’m also new here. At 2 a.m. I will start day 3. This is hard but I’m finding after all the bad things that happen to me because of withdrawl, it’s not worth it. I was a daily drinker. Nice to say was. I was like you but then it turned into everynight for a long time. I also have no self control. I removed all alcohol from the house and I’m setting my mind right. If you reach the daily drinking of anywhere from 3 to 6 a night the withdrawls are so bad. For me I was sweating uncontrollably, slept like 45 min in a night, paranoia and fear was so intense. I have never been so scared in my life. I cried because it was so real and devastating to me. I pray you never have to feel that. I hope this helps in some way. Good luck, stay strong and God bless.

3 Likes

Thank you for youre reply. Thats my biggest fear that i go from 4/5 times a week to needing a drink every day. I feel i need to take steps now before my problem develops further.

I wish you all the best with youre journey

1 Like

I started drinking on the weekends. Said I wouldn’t drink on work/school nights. That changed to I won’t drink consecutive days. Then it changed to 1 day off a week, then I tried to drink moderately and all that. Eventually i was drinking every day and getting sloshed in my work parking lot right after work.

Only you can say if you’re an alcoholic or not. If you feel like it’s a problem, it is. It’s always your choice, you don’t drink so someone else can get drunk and you can’t not drink for someone else to achieve sobriety.

@Yoda-Stevie puts it well, if alcohol gets in the way of your life you got a drinking problem, if life gets in the way of your drinking, you’re an alcoholic.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of sober people doing sober things and enjoying sober life.

6 Likes

Thank you all for the welcome @CaptAZ youre story sounds like one im half way through. I started at weekends, then onto 4/5 times a week and some weeks everyday. Im 3 days without a drink now i havent gone longer than 5 days for about a year but im determined to keep it up.

2 Likes

Hello there! It’s great to see so many new faces today. Sounds like you can see the progression of addiction ahead, which not many of us truly do before it’s too late. Go forward from here my friend and do everything you can to stay the course. It only gets uglier if you don’t. Hope to see you around!

3 Likes

So im 4 days in now which is usually where i cave in but im feeling strong. Managed to get a relatively decent sleep last night and im just going to keep busy today.

1 Like

Hello. I just joined today after researching which apps are best for sobriety.
I poured all my liquor down that drain today and get my life back.
I am terrified and excited at the same time.

6 Likes

Hey there - and welcome. I started here on my day one too. This forum is a wealth of support and information. Glad you are here.

2 Likes

Thank you! I’m going to need all the help
I can get…