New here 1 day sober

Hello,
Today is my first sober day. I was really bad in the past and was drinking everyday after work and binge drinking on the weekends. I have tried doing just weekends and not a lot and I have failed that too. This past weekend on Saturday night I had an episode with my wife that i regret and do not remember. Being mean and angry which isn’t me at all. This is the last and final straw for me I do not want it anymore. I went to my first AA meeting today and met some genuine and great people. I know I can do this!

27 Likes

Maaan, you sound just like me. Just include my kid in the picture. Two days sober and I see the change. Keep on going. Step by step. Day by day. Let’s stay sober and tomorrow night.

4 Likes

Sounds like a plan! From what everyone says sobriety is awesome

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! You’re off to a good start. Dig through the various threads here. There is a ton of great information and people here. You definitely can do this!

1 Like

Welcome :slight_smile: best of luck on your sober journey!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum and to the rest of your life. I’m glad to hear you went to a meeting and I hope you will become a regular here and allow this forum to be a tool to help you with your sobriety goals. You can definitely do this.

1 Like

Thank you everyone for your kind words… That wasn’t me at all and I wish I could take it all back and never have picked up my first drink in the first place… alcohol is so destructive and I never want it again

2 Likes

You can!! Keep going to meetings if possible. I never really believed in them befor and I don’t have much clean time myself, but I know find I’m better off with them than without. By far. You’ll keep meeting peopleas you go and you’re support system will only get bigger and stronger. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you! I’m going to go to my second meeting tonight! I’m going to check in during the day every day too on here I figure it will help as well.

As of today I still feel withdrawal symptoms. I slept like crap because I kept getting cold sweats. I woke up feeling bad but it felt better to know I have hope on my horizon. I still feel anxious and have a cloudy head but I know it will get better. We will have to see how I feel after work it’s my first day back since quitting.

1 Like

Work today wasn’t so bad… especially being happy that I’m sober. Being still day 2 I got that feeling when I got home… I had a nice diet green tea instead and it was great! AA is in a half hour and I look forward to going :grin:

3 Likes

Day 3! It’s actually not going bad. Work is going decently and I feel genuinely happier. Still didn’t sleep too well and still find myself thinking about what to do when I get home. I will definitely busy myself with something. Honestly I find gaming with friends or being outside helps out a lot. Keeps my mind off it!

1 Like

Sleep was so rough for me my first week (just hit 2 weeks) and it’s still hit or miss, but keep going I know it gets better. I also got some coloring books and have some busy games on my phone that I use to keep me busy in the evenings when I’m alone. Keeps my mind busy, walks outside are great too. Something about being outside clears my head.

Keep up the good work!

3 Likes

Day 4 has been great. I’ve had a few thoughts about alcohol but nothing crazy… just remind myself life sober is better. Alcohol doesn’t make life easier in fact it makes it harder. ODAAT! Sleep was iffy last night but I still find myself having energy… I don’t feel tired all the time like I have for the past 4 years.

4 Likes

Good job man! Sleep was issue for me too. It definitely gets better. Waking up not sick is priceless.

1 Like

I think we’ve all had that experience. Keep going. There is power in truly being in control of oneself. You’re doing great.

2 Likes

Thank you for the kind words guys!
Day 5. I actually woke up 15 minutes before my alarm. I slept almost 7 hours and barely woke up during the night. It felt weird but in a good way. My head is definitely feeling clearer today but I still feel a little groggy. It is definitely getting easier to ignore or dismiss my thoughts about alcohol. It wouldn’t be this easy without you great group of people and my strong will!

1 Like

Congrats on 5 days. You’ve got this. Stay positive and stay strong. :metal:

Congrats on your 5 days THard. This first week is a real bitch. We got your back. Seriously, as you get into the weekend. We are here for you. This place works if you work it. And you’re worth it.
ODAAT
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

You absolutely can! I am on day 6 of I dont onow how many tries. The thing that has really hit me is that each time I relapse- I go further down… drinking more and more often. This time I found oeace and gratitude within just a day or two if sobriety. No headache, not exhausted when I wake up, no worrying about who I told off online. I went to my first meeting and n Wednesday and Im glad alI did. We can do it!

1 Like

I forgot to post it! :grin:

1 Like