New here and looking for a community of help

Hi,
I am new here and looking for a place for support. I have been battling alcohol for over 5 years.
I am hoping a place like this will help with the support I need to live a sober life.

Thanks
Shawnessie

8 Likes

This is an excellent resource when used in conjunction with treatment or 12-step programs. We are all glad you found it! Do you have any clean time or plans for treatment?

2 Likes

I recently had gone 7 days then relapsed and then another 7 and relapsed again. I am also going to therapy to help me.
The forum seems like a great way to talk and listen when I am not at therapy.

3 Likes

The nice thing about this place is there is absolutely zero judgement because every single person here is looking for the same thing as everyone else.
Get in to groups, go to meetings, stay busy and stay strong!

1 Like

Welcome, this is a wonderful first step

You have arrived where you belong. This forum is filled with people who have walked the path you’re walking right now. Have you considered attending AA meetings? Being around people who are facing the same disease as you does maje a difference. Once there, announce yourself as a newcomer and get a phone list. When you get the phone list use it. When you’re wanting a drink, call someone. When you’re feeling like you can’t continue, hit a meeting or call someone. NEVER CRAVE ALONE. Before you pick up a drink, posts here first. We’re here for you.

Chad

3 Likes

Welcome aboard. You definitely landed in the right place. I’m on day 10 no drinking and I couldn’t have done it without this app/forum.

If you’re just starting I recommend checking this forum daily, as well as attending AA at least twice a week. One at the beginning of the week, and one right before the weekend. A couple years ago that’s what I did and it helped me not drink for 3 months until I stopped attending. I’m trying again, though this time the app seems to be sufficient enough.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone!
I have definitely thought about attending meetings. I will look into it.
It’s nice to have a place where people know what you are going through. It’s impossible for me to do this alone without support. I always thought I could, but I was wrong. This will be a much needed support system.

2 Likes

I can help find meetings in your area.

1 Like

Welcome. Have a look around this site. Loads of information if you look. And the occasional silly cat!

Edit, that was supposed to be chat, but we’ll go with that😂

1 Like

Lol. I was going to say that there is no such thing as silly cats!

1 Like

Welcome :slight_smile: loads of great support and information on here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like meetings worked before, why avoid them now?

Great job going two different weeks! At my worst I was doing a binge, recover, do it again cycle of getting blackout every few days.

Then I went only weekends. Then every two or three weeks. Now I’m at day 32 and going strong.

Keep making progress and keep digging deep at why booze is tempting when it harms you. Examine that thought carefully.

Valid question. At first it was embarrassment - I left telling the folks there I’m going to stay sober. And with stupid pride I didn’t want to go back.

I decided to give it one last shot without AA. Thankfully, I found this app, and it has been working since.

I am very glad you’re back on the wagon, but trust me, EVERYONE in those rooms has said they were going to stay sober and failed. Otherwise they wouldn’t be in those rooms. Don’t be ashamed of your missteps. Own them, go in there, and be amazed at just how supportive everyone is. My experience is that they don’t even ask why you relapsed or mention it ever again.

3 Likes

Enough said already, just want to say: welcome! Hope to see you here often! :+1: