New here but not to the struggle

Just introducing myself here, seems like a really supportive group of people. Today I’m on my 8th day alcohol free for what seems like the 20th time, the difference this time being that I’m actually excited to get to double digits and get to the end of 30 days and then further. I find myself loving the first half of the day and waking up feeling invincible, but then 5-10pm I bumble around with a bit of anxiety that I’m breaking such a long lasting habit of reaching for a drink to make another day in the pandemic have some sort of mental variety to it. It’s a pretty interesting month to choose this journey as winter keeps me pretty stuck in my apartment and my bday is tomorrow 1/22, but I’ve told my friends this time I’m alcohol free and am about to have my first sober birthday. I’m actually kind of stoked. Well again just wanted to say hi and I’m Ry!

8 Likes

Happy birthday tomorrow!! :tada: And congrats on the 8 days. I hope your friends are supportive of your sobriety. Do you have plans for your birthday?

That’s a great idea. I’m gunna save my “mindful, productive” tasks for that time and do them from a different place in my apartment instead of where I normally sit and have a drink. Thanks so much!

1 Like

Yeah my roommate invited 3 friends from our pod over for brunch. They’re all aware it’s booze free and making some mocktails to go with video games.

@RyGuy, that’s great! Glad your friends are there to celebrate and support you. Be sure to check in here if you need extra encouragement or to vent or whatever. (I have a birthday coming up too that will be my first sober one🤞 in quite a while.)

Glad you are here Ry! And happy SOBER birthday! I got one coming up soon so I am looking forward to my first sober bday in a long time.
I know what u mean about the end of the day and the routine of that being drinking time. I had to flip the script on that and find a new routine. It took awhile, but eventually I found a new evening routine that did not involve sitting in my home office getting drunk. I’m sure u can do that too and achieve your goals. ODAAT (I just learned what that means yesterday so I’m gonna use it here)
:slight_smile:
See ya around!

Bye for now…

Ps Great advice as usual, @littlemisschatterbox

1 Like

Hey congrats and happy birthday​:tada::tada::birthday:, I had my first sober bday in a long time at Rehab lol…but that was a year ago and honestly I’ve never been happier…greatest decision I made …plus it gets easier :slight_smile: I don’t even think about having a drink anymore . Also , it might be hard doing it on your own, I know I couldn’t , so , try looking into AA or any other support groups …this is a war that we fight against alcohol and no soldier has ever won a war on there Own.

1 Like