New here. Day 1 of cold turkey off cannabis

Hey, I’m new to the app so I wanted to introduce myself :slight_smile: My name is Steph, I’m 24 and today I’m going to try and quit cannabis for the 5th? Time. I’ve smoked about 2grams a day every day for atleast 7 years. I suffer with anxiety and depression and have done for about 9 years, I first turned to weed as an escape from an abusive relationship and it felt like it helped to start with, but now it feels like it’s making my anxiety alot worse. As much as I don’t want to stop smoking it, I know I have to.
I don’t know what made me download this app, I think it’s a mixture of wanting help/not wanting to feel weird and alone.
Does anyone have any advice on getting through withdrawal symptoms and restlessness? When the restlessness kicks in I try to do activites like drawing or running or playing games but they just don’t fill the hole like weed does. Tbh any help or advice would be great.
Thank you

1 Like

Hi, I’m giving up pot as well, along with my DOC (alcohol, adderall). Day 2 for me at present, have had some long stretches of clean time here and there in the past but screwed up big time this past weekend.

I’m like you in that weed used to make my anxiety and depression better…but over time, it turned on me. I would sit there, lost in my own mind, just dissecting and poking mental holes in every aspect of my life…and yet I would still light up. It would impact my thought patterns, often influencing them in a negative way, 24 hrs a day, even though I would only smoke at night.

Things I would recommend doing is, if you haven’t already, dispose of all drugs and related paraphernalia. This removes temptation and immediate access to your drug. Its the only thing that worked for me in the past. In regards to the restlesness etc, going for a run/other exercise always helps me when i am feeling anxious.

Don’t give up, it will take some getting used to. I am in the same early stage as you, as are many others, you are by no means alone in this. You got this!

2 Likes

Weed was hard as hell to quit bc I was used to doing it at all times. My appetite and sleep patterns were the most affected. I was also moody as shit. I did the @C-sun substitution method. Except that’s right around when I started using heroin. Again.

Don’t let anyone talk shit to you that it’s ‘just pot’ bc that’s bullshit

4 Likes

Have you tried Cbd? Its non psychoactive and is pretty great for anxiety.

You’ve got a lot of good advice for the daytime and staying busy is key here.

You’ll likely have trouble sleeping for a while but making a bedtime routine can trick your body into knowing it’s time to go to sleep. Take a shower, drink tea, read a book, meditate. No phone or screentime during those times. You can make whatever schedule works for you as long as you try to keep it around the same time of day for the first bit. Then you can change the time if you need to as long as the routine stays the same.

You’ve got this, glad to have you here.

1 Like

Thank you so much guys :slight_smile:
Getting to sleep last night was horrendous, there was alot of tossing and turning, but I surprisingly feel more awake this morning than I have in the past.
I’m going to try going running after work and keep my mind occupied.
Thank you again!

2 Likes

Nice work staying on your path and fighting for your goal.
Last night was only my 2nd night without pot, and I’m already dreaming again! I guess that whole thing about weed impacting REM sleep is true, even if it helps you get to sleep faster it decreases the quality of the sleep, or so I’ve read. I can’t remember the last time I dreamt before last night.

Keep going, I know I will!

1 Like

Thank you,
Good luck with your journey!
Yeah it definetly felt good not waking up ganjed over, I actually felt fresh this morning for the first time in a good while and had a great sleep :slight_smile:
&happy dreaming! I’ve always had crazy dreams so it will be interesting to see if it works in the opposite way for me

1 Like