New here. First week!

Hello all. Well I will be one week tomorrow and I want to start by thanking all of you for all your posts I have been reading over the past week. I stayed in the shadows because I was terrified I couldn’t do this and would have to reset a few days in. BUT I made it! All you guys were a big help.

I am an alcoholic. I have never admitted that out loud before. I own a business, go to the gym 6 days a week and love yoga. But every night I would drink a glass or two of wine to unwind… unfortunately that always turned into a bottle or two… or a box so I wouldn’t even have to admit how much I actually drank. :cry: I woke up every morning feeling like shit and swearing I wouldn’t drink tonight… until 5 pm rolled around and I needed it… deserved it… it was Friday… I was celebrating a success… sulking over a failure… as you can see I could find an excuse daily.

I am ready to make a change. I want to live sober. I am feeling great. I am taking it one day at a time but not waking up with blood shot eyes and hating myself is a good start right! I do have a few questions! I am having some heart palpitations. They are lessening as the days go by. Is this normal? Also I have had to attend a few small events this week and just drank soda with lime but I have some more intimate events coming up and how to handle myself when others ask why I’m not drinking vino! Any advice would be appreciated. Again thank you to all of you! You have been a huge help to me so far. :kissing_heart:

10 Likes

Hello there and welcome…congrats on your progress,it’s great you already see the difference in your health.Heart palpitations are one of the withdrawal symptoms usually,same as anxiety,sweats,shakiness, feeling weak/tired etc…it slowly improves and goes away.I actually had a seizure on 5th day of sobriety which scared me big time.You will feel better with every day!!!Keep up the good job!8))

1 Like

First off well done on your first week! Very well done!

Heart palpitations are normal when you go sober, but despite how much I may or may not look like Alan Alda I’m no doctor. If you’re worried then go to a clinic or get checked out.

As for people asking why you’re not drinking wine, I’d just say it’s giving you heart burn. It’s a lie, but human society is built on lies so you’ll be fine. (Though if it’s a trusted group you’d be better off telling them)

2 Likes

Hello,sounds like you have a very good start. You will find a lot of knowledge on here. People here have experience with the things you mentioned. Those excuses are familiar to most of us. Explaining your situation to people is up to you. When and how is your decision. Hope you find a lot of useful things here.

Did you know you were going to or having a seizure? I feel when I’m busy I don’t get the palpitations but when I have down time I get them. My dr is out of town and I don’t feel it’s bad enough to go to the hospital.

1 Like

Hi! Great post and welcome! Sounds like you are doing great. I’m not sure what a heart palpitations is but I’ll tag @C-sun for ya. She’s wicked smart and a huge help around here.

As far as telling people why you are not drinking, I prefer the truth. That I quit drinking cuz I had a problem. If you are not comfy with that right now then there are many things you could say.
You are on a cleanse
You are on antibiotics
You are doing some health app thingy

You see where I’m going with this. You can say whatever’s. People usually don’t really care if you aren’t drinking.

I’m glad you’re here pal! Keep reading and keep posting. You’re doing great!!

1 Like

No signs of the seizure coming…I was in shower and next thing I remember is my husband on 911 call…but it was on my day 5(even though I thought these seizures happens in the first few days)…that’s why they give you Ativan or Xanax or any other Benzo when u go to detox at the hospital)Maybe you are just more focusing on yourself when not busy?So it may be in your head?? Keep us posted,google about the issue to educate yourself, it helps me sometimes!! 8))

2 Likes

Awesome on the week! That’s a huge milestone starting out of the gate, many people can testify to that!

The palpatations are somewhat normal through withdrawals. I’m similar to you I go to the gym 5-6 days a week for cardio and weightlifting. I found that a good multi-vitamin, B-complex and magnesium clears it up somewhat quickly for me. I’m no Doctor either, that’s just my experience. Another thing to note, if your used to drinking yourself into oblivion, your probably have a paranoid thought process about your drinking and the possible damage you could had done. Hypochondriac comes to mind. I know I had a tendency to do this when I first got sober.

As for the larger events… Who cares what your drinking? If it really bothers you, bring some grape juice in your purse or get non-alcoholic drinks that look like alcohol drinks. Many people have already mentioned the other reputable excuses that help.

Best of luck, and stick to your convictions and make your life better.

1 Like

Hey there! Welcome and Congrats on your first week! Very awesome you’ve decided to join us. Your head and heart seem to be in the right place and if you need support/advice we all got your back! This community or family if you will is an amazing support system. Best wishes going forward and keep up the great work!

1 Like

Seeing you call this group a family made my mind instantly go to who would we label… NOT advising this at all. Just know I’m still a mess most of the time. I’d be afraid I’d get grumpy old jack wagon

Thank you so much everyone. I quit smoking 8 years ago with the help of an online community of quitters! I am still friends with some of the connections I made then. I appreciate you guys so much already. X

1 Like