New here, my story

I’ve been a very high functioning alcoholic for the better part of 18 years. I’ve always held a job and raised 2 kids. I now have a 1 year old granddaughter. Almost every night after work and on my days off I’m at the store getting my drinks for the day. I never saw a problem with it since I never missed work and didn’t see it getting in the way of anything. (Besides when I was in an abusive relationship with a severe alcoholic and all we did was drink for months …ugh the shame). Something has always told me that I should quit. I feel lazy and unmotivated and my belly is always bloated. I know I don’t feel like myself.
I’ve quit for a week or two at a time before but never stuck with it. I really need to this time. I want to feel better and be around longer for my kids and sweet granddaughter. I’m on day 2 now.

20 Likes

Sounds like a good choice for you!! Welcome!!

1 Like

Welcome!!!

1 Like

Welcome Shannon!:wave::smiley:

1 Like

Thank you hun, I think this is just what I needed to succeed! Good job on your day 8, keep up the great work :blush:

3 Likes

Hello! I love that you have solid motivation. Your family needs you. It is time to let your body / brain heal. Just a quick story… the other day my husband and I were driving to a different city. What I noticed all at once is how my curiosity and zest for discovery is returning since I quit drinking (off alcohol since mid Oct 2019 with one 3-day slip-up during the holidays then back on track). … Before alcohol took a hold on me about 15 years ago I loved road trips and always wondered what was around the corner or down a road I passed. When I lived in my alcohol fog (functional, mid you), I just didn’t care about anything other than getting through the day and faking happiness to others. That is reversing and is so exciting! … I say this to you because you have a new grandbaby. How beautiful will it be to watch her and help her grow when you are out of the fog and really present. I don’t think it is possible to fully understand how disconnected a heavy drinker is from normal emotions until we give our brains time to heal. Give this gift to yourself so that you can truly enjoy life with a clear mind. Give this gift also to your precious family. Everyone is so deserving. My best to you!

7 Likes

hello and welcome. Day 2 and got every reason to quit, grandchildren are a great motivation. I remember when my grandson was 2 or 3 and he would walk past the cider in the shop shouting look there’s grandads drink, people would laugh but personally I didn’t find it very funny. A while after that I had quit and we went for a meal, he must still have only been 3 but I got myself an alcohol free lager and when I returned to the table he says, grandad why are you drinking. Ultimately we must give up for ourselves but by doing this we become better role models to the people we love. Children notice everything, they understand more than they are given credit for, they trust us without question (well maybe about 50 question, that’s kids for you). Let’s be their idol.

6 Likes

Hi Shannon and welcome,this community is a great place to be. A safe place to be,please share ,vent, read,and join in ,it’s helped me no end ,how lovely to have your beautiful grandchild,make the changes now and it will be so worth it.xso happy you found us.xx

3 Likes

Welcome!!

Sometimes you never realize how much your actions and drinking can affect your life situation. I myself was a functional alcoholic for 20 yrs and never took the time to realize the amount it affects those around me. I am divorced. I have an 18 yr old son who doesn’t speak to me and my current gf is moving out. All I can say is, when the time comes for you to realize you are ready and willing for a better life. You are strong willed and have opportunities coming forward for a healthier lifestyle. You can do this. Awesome you are taking the steps to be sober

4 Likes

Welcome, I’m new to this community but already feel inspired. Great support and genuine people here

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing and best of luck to you!

Welcome Shannon. Kids know more than we think. I’m glad you’ve decided to give your family a better version of yourself. I look forward to following your journey. Be sure to check in with us daily, here’s the link Checking in daily to help maintain focus #7

2 Likes

Welcome and thank you for sharing. You have the support of this wonderful community night or day

Good for you Shannon! You’re in the right place. Lots of good people here & lots to learn & share. Take a look around! Welcome to our community - looking forward to walking the road with you :smile:

Did it get updated to #8 now? I saw this one earlier today:

You’re right it did get updated today to $8. It was still at #7 when i posted the link 2 weeks ago.

1 Like

Oh my gosh I didn’t notice how old this thread was. I saw it at the top of my list because there had been a recent post. Thanks for checking in anyway! :smiley:

1 Like