New here. Not new to sobriety

Hello! My name is Sam. I am 22 years old, female. I got sober a year and 8 months ago from opiates/heroin. I used for about 4 years total. 3 years of pharma pills and 1 year of heroin. I fist felt withdrawal during the month of September of 2020 and decided I hated that feeling. It was either be an addict your whole life and have to deal with those consequences that you inevitably deal with, or get clean. And after 3 tries getting clean on different couches. The 4th time changed my life. I was only 105 to start, always had a tiny building. Withdrawing cold turkey for 5 days, no food or drinks, made me lose so much weight. At the worst of it all I weighed 77 pounds at 20 years old. I was over it. I started using quite young, to me at least and really had no clue about the consequences. And once those consequences starting to come, I wanted OUT. No matter how good the drugs felt, the withdrawal and loss of weight was more traumatic.

Thank you for letting me share.

26 Likes

Welcome to an amazing sober community!

3 Likes

Thank you 🩵

Welcome and thank you for sharing your story! It’s just good to hear you made the right decision!

2 Likes

Thanks so much!

Thank you so much for your share Sam!
So happy that you’ve joined our community and will bring a perspective to how you’ve handled sobriety thus far. This is an incredible community filled with great threads / advice and just overall love.

Hope to see you around!

4 Likes

thanks so much 🩵 here to stay.

Hi Sam, it’s good to see you here! :people_hugging:

Thank you for sharing your story X you’ve been through so much already sweetheart, you’re absolutely right getting clean. It’s great you’re tackling this now. You’re young and beautiful, and your whole life is ahead of you :heart:

Staying clean is all about support, particularly in your early days. We are here for you, the good days and the hard ones x

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing & so glad you’re here and amongst the living, as it should be!

3 Likes

Thank you! Likewise :crossed_fingers:t4:

I appreciate it so much, thank you 🩵

1 Like

welcome, i am working on my 7th day so i really admire youre gone really far, keep it up the great work

4 Likes

You can do it!!! :crossed_fingers:t4:

2 Likes

That’s a huge accomplishment. Congratulations!

1 Like

Thank you so much

1 Like

Hey, Sam. I too was using opiates. I started in 2008 when it was still actually heroin, then it all turned into fentanyl. :grimacing: I’m so, so happy to hear that you haven’t touched opiates in 1 year & 8 months. That’s truly incredible. I’m genuinely happy for you bc I know how much opiates can ruin your life & I know how hard it is to quit them. Wow, you quit cold turkey. That’s crazy. I’m on Methadone. I decrease my dose by 2 MG each month. I’m currently on 103 MG, so I have years to go, but I’m okay with that. I’ve managed to chop off 77 MG of my dose so far without feeling a thing, so I think I’m doing pretty well. Methadone likely saved my life. I can’t wait to be free of opioids like you. I don’t look down on myself for being on Methadone one bit, but I just think it’ll be a nice to finally not need to physically depend on anything one day. :snowflake:

4 Likes

I quit cold turkey love, but the craving are what was messing me with in the beginning so i too am on maintenance!!! I hope i didn’t confuse anyone. I take suboxone, 2mg a day… Which i’m not ashamed of either!! of course i prefer not to have to rely on anything, but unfortunately that’s not the case. with suboxone, i wanted stability… I didn’t want to wait months to be “normal”. but now i know when the time comes, to quit my suboxone… i’ll be ready and do it correctly and hopefully not feel a thing. :sob:

3 Likes

Hello Sam, welcome to TS and thank you for sharing. I’m pretty new here and to sobriety, and even though I am not a very outgoing person, I feel this community is like one big family. And there are so many different topics here for all sorts of inerests. There is always something to discover or explore further. And of course topics to laugh, cry or wonder about.

1 Like

Don’t ever be ashamed. Don’t ever let anyone tell you that your recovery isn’t valid. You ARE clean. 🫶🏻

1 Like

Welcome! I’m happy you are getting healthier. :purple_heart:

1 Like