New Here, Ready to Stop Making Excuses

Hello my name is Pam! :hugs: New to the group. While I joined the sober app a while ago. A recent decided to join the community. I’m glad I did after reading several post. I have struggled with using alcohol for over 20 years to cope with relaxing and insomnia every evening after work. Because I don’t get drunk and it’s red wine I’ve always made the excuse that there’s no real harm even when I went through periods with drinking an entire bottle every night I’m packing on the pounds. Even when my daughter side eyes me or makes the comment do you have to have a glass tonight. During the therapy session recently I realized that I’ve never dealt with the underlying reasons behind the inability to relax and go to sleep without feeling the need to have alcohol to do so. The biggest journey isn’t the alcohol it’s healing, learning to live in the moment, doing the work, learning to live life without this thing that’s been a part of my life for over half of my adult life. And most importantly learning to stop worrying about the things I am unable to control. I look forward to learning from many of you in the group. Day one sober.

13 Likes

I feel you! I was a wine bottle a night too!

Welcome

2 Likes

You know, im almost grateful for being an alcoholic for the amount of soul searching and work on myself ive had to do to be sober and stay sober and i really mean that, i too had alot of stuff id never faced up to and spent years escaping and numbing from via a vodka bottle…its not been easy and will always be a work in progress but 7 months in im now the happiest ive ever been in my adult life, working on myself, my sobriety and life in general im now beginning to love the journey without seeking a destination, if i can do this you absolutely can…my love to you Pam, we are all here for you :heart:

6 Likes

I feel your pain. Relapsing is so easy. After 2 weeks , square one again Here. Mine is Not alcohol, more Internet and gaming ( gambling)

I am so angry with myself. Healing is a long process

4 Likes

I can understand you as well. I would have glass after glass of wine every night. Sometimes a bottle and a half. I hated the way i felt when i woke the next morning or checking my phone to see who i texted or talked to. Im 31 days sober and im really starting to enjoy my life. Im not so bloated now either. I use this app and i attend AA meeti gs when i can. I feel it all helps and keeps me accountable. I wish you all the best and strength on your journey. Taking it one day at a time and not looking too much into the future helps.

6 Likes

Hey Liz! One month! That flew by!

2 Likes

This is me as well, Starlight. I love my new life. I can’t believe what recovery has given me. A completely new life.

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing. I have spent the last 3 years trying to heal the tough stuff. While I have been intentional about that. I realize I allowed myself to use the healing work as an excuse to unwind and relax with wine at night. I know realize that until I could know Pam without the need to numb every evening, I am still using a crutch.

Thank you for sharing your 7 month success. Congratulations on 7 months sober. Very inspiring.

3 Likes

This is very true for me as well. My therapy started to actually work after I got sober. Glad you are here.

1 Like