New here. Venting / advice

Newbie here, been sober for 9 going on 10 months now. I guess I have a question for anyone who has a good stretch of sobriety. When you get stressed or down does it still cross you mind that a drink will calm you down? I’m a firefighter and been working crazy amounts of overtime the past couple months and needless to say it took a bit of a toll on my marriage. I almost hit a breaking point about a week ago where I was sitting in my car debating on buying an airline shot of what was my favorite whiskey to take the edge off. I didn’t do it but it annoyed me that my brain went straight to alcohol being a cure for my stress still. Does it get easier ?

10 Likes

Mate I’m 21 months sober and I don’t need stress to make me think about drink, if I’m breathing I want a drink. That’s how I know I’m an alcoholic. The difference now is we have a choice, we have found a new freedom. Life’s still gonna go on regardless of what we do but at least while we’re sober we can deal with things better. I used to think after a few months sober I had cracked it but it takes years to put all the broken pieces in the right place. we’ve never dealt with anything before so the rest of our lives is going to be one big learning curve. And the best bit is we only have to do it today. Maybe today we will learn something that makes tommorow a little bit easier.
Congrats on your sober days mate and thanks for all you do :+1:

6 Likes

Appreciate it Brotha,
It got tough especially know what I would end up losing if I touched that stuff again but for a split second my mind justified it. Either way appreciate you taking the time to reply man. It really helps

1 Like

Yep, your mind goes to the coping mechanism you know, which is alcohol. I have had some family stress recently and the urge to ‘escape’ via booze was definitely there, even at 22 months. I think it will get easier, each time you resist you weaken that mental link.

3 Likes

In the beginning it did. Around milestones, it really hit me. I just kept saying no to the cravings, kept working my program…and eventually…it went away.

2 Likes

It does get easier I’ve found. I’ve been through many moments, and prolonged stretches, of stress, depression, heartbreak without thinking of a drink or drug. I’ve also been through periods of celebration and happiness without the thought of a drink or a drug.

Once I was able to get a sponsor and work the steps thoroughly I’ve been able to withstand anything life has to offer

2 Likes

Hey there. Yep I’ve got just over 3 years sobriety and those thoughts cross my mind from time to time. During stress. Sadness. Happiness. Csn be over anything or nothing really. But I’ve learnt to simply acknowledge the thought and then let it go.
I will also rummage around in my ‘toolbox’ and find some healthier alternative I can do instead.
The thoughts pass, just don’t feed into them. Good job staying strong :facepunch:

2 Likes

I have a friend who was a non-smoker for 20+ years. His Dad died and he drove to the gas station, bought his old brand, unwrapped and almost lit it before realizing he didn’t have a lighter because he hadn’t smoked for 20 years. Our substances will always be our substances.

Maybe take an hour or so to re-examine the stress in your life and try to take something off your plate. Good for you for reaching out and staying the course. :muscle:t3::heart:

1 Like