New job! Early Sobriety

Started a new job yesterday, crazy thing about the work I do, working as a machine mechanic it’s normal for everyone to speak on having a cold one after work or a few shots. Damn it’s just embedded in the factory culture!

I’ve come to far, i let the chatter ho in one ear and out the other…keep it moving, keep me in your prayers! No peer pressure this way! God bless you all

8 Likes

:rofl: that “SOUNDS” like it would be painful. :joy:

Just kidding sir. Starting a new job, set the ground rules early. You don’t drink, that’s all they need to know. If they still insist tell them that you’re allergic to alcohol. Good luck my friend we are rooting for you.

1 Like

You may inspire someone someday who needs what you have. Show how good it can be.:blush:

3 Likes

Congrats on the new job! Plus, you are going in as a non-drinker, you just don’t drink and no explaining away why you stopped. Sending strength:)

3 Likes

Good point Beth! It’s just how I roll, lol!

3 Likes

Appreciate the words! This is a big step for me, be I’m locked in focus…one day at a time

4 Likes

I am sure there are more mechanics staying sober or not drinking ever. You could find them in some groups, I guess. Like AA or so. And I agree, set early statements, that you just don’t drink. Maybe have always non alcoholic drinks with you, so you will have you own “cold”. Congrats to the new job!

3 Likes

well done on your new job a new start im sure youl be ok , im sure there will be someone there who dosnt have cold one wish you well

2 Likes

Appreciate it bro

1 Like

Day 3 anxiety tried to sneak up on me at the end of shift, negative self talk doubting myself, but I’m glad I was able to stay cool, and talk myself thru it, any suggestions or im just going to have to get use to being uncomfortable in situations and just fucking do my thing! Damn I hate my brain, over analyze the stupidest shit! Didn’t realize I m so fucking fragile without alcohol…smh

2 Likes

I figured I would share, I experienced a setback, I will not be returning to work next week, im absolutely not ready pressure of getting back to work swiftly and my pride , riding my bike to work everyday like a damn kid, due to to no license unresolved issue, culture is so alcohol and drug driven i should be strong enough but its too early to be around 6 to 7 days 9 hours a day, shit is fucking frustrating, about ready to snap! Smh, only thing I’m hanging on to is Sobriety which seems pointless and a joke at this point!

1 Like

That sucks Detroit; maybe something else will come up. How far is your work? I had to wait for my place here on the island and lived off island, I rode 13 miles one way! You should check out the bridge I had to ride, lol. I lost weight too…:wink:

Whoa! Not far, just the principle…smh…what’s name of bridge

Sanibel bridge. The first part is steep!
This part, lol
https://images.app.goo.gl/81YBQCddxVD9PoKcA

1 Like