New member, first post

Hello, I’m new here. I’m not sure how this works. I’ve opened up a little bit to some close friends about my sobriety. I think everyone is thinking that’s it’s a phase for me and I’ll be back to my old ways soon. It will be 6 months 100% sober on the 12th. I need people to talk to about it with. When I say I’m going to do something, I mean it. I want the second half of my life to be present and sober!

30 Likes

Hello welcome, and huge congratulations on you 6 months, that’s fantastic!
Pull up a seat, get comfy, read, post, and soak up all the wisdom they guys have to offer. I’m new here too and it’s the best thing I ever did! X

3 Likes

Welcome. You’re doing amazingly on 6 months ! This is an amazing place to be. You’ll love it. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @SSDGM well done on 6 months… that is fantastic! And welcome to the forum… don’t worry about what other people think about your sobriety… sobriety is about you and something you can do for yourself…it is the most important thing…all your friends and family will notice is the best version of you… stick around :grin:

1 Like

Welcome and congratulations on six months!! That’s a GIGANTIC accomplishment!

1 Like

Congratulations on 6 months sober that’s brilliant. I have stopped and started drinking more times than I could count. I have been to meetings in the past but for lots of reasons and health problems making it difficult it just wasn’t for me. Meetings are successful for a lot of people though and doing the programme. For me I use this forum as the support and encouragement from others is wonderful. You can relate to others. Yesterday I was seriously tempted , and I decided before I go to the shop I’ll post on here and read other people’s posts. I did and someone replied giving me a kick up the backside that I needed and encouraged me. Ate some chocolate felt better and didn’t drink. There are some lovely people on here.

1 Like

Welcome! Massive congratulations on the 6 months! You are definitely winning at sobriety. Plenty of great people to share your successes and challenges with in here :heart:

2 Likes

Welcome @SSDGM

You sound like a total go-getter and that you are out there getting it. Good work. I’d love to hear you share what you’ve done to get to 6 months. You’ll be able to help the new sober folks here.

1 Like

Hi! I’m new here also. Congratulations on six months! I just reached five months and feeling very good about it. Can I ask what you’re doing to stay sober? And is it your first attempt at sobriety?

4 Likes

Hello, welcome! Congratulations on 6 months, that is no small feat. I know what it feels like to have people not take your decision seriously. All you can do is prove them wrong through your actions, eventually they will come to believe.
Stick around. This community is a great place of support, hopefully it can give you the support you are looking for. I know that this place has certainly helped me get where I am now, and perhaps it can do the same for you.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Hi, welcome and congratulations on your six months, you’ve made a great decision by being here.

2 Likes

I’m still figuring out myself and reflecting on everything that has led up to this point in my life. I have the addiction gene. Both my parents have been addicts throughout my life. Now looking back I see how my childhood traumas did effect me. I have just started to make all the connections. I’m an all or nothing type of person. I don’t dabble into things, I go full throttle. So as a teen when I first smoked weed, I then wanted to get stoned everyday. Since then, I’ve never turned down a drug. Throughout my teens and early 20s when I did drugs recreationally, I always remained responsible. Then getting married and having children came into play. I never drank or did drugs when I was pregnant or breastfeeding but you can bet that’s all I thought about and couldn’t wait to be able to do it again. I told myself that I would stop all drugs except weed and alcohol once I turned 25, and I did. Slowly but surely alcohol became an issue. I spent the next 12 years living a horrible cycle of binge drinking, hungover, regrets, embarrassment, guilt, and then doing it all over again. I couldn’t stop drinking no matter how hard I wanted it or tried. The worst of it is that no one around me really knew how much I was suffering and how bad my addiction was getting. 2-3 bottles of wine was normal and chain smoking a pack of cigarettes almost daily is was what I did. This is where for me getting sober might be different for others. I was scared straight. I had a massive stroke on Dec 12th at 37. I was in the hospital and Rehabilitaion for two weeks. I thought I was going to die, and that’s the closest I’ve ever been to death. I didn’t have high blood pressure or any underlying issues, except for the heavy drinking and smoking. We still don’t have an exact answer as to what caused it. I know drinking and smoking had a huge part in it along with I had started getting back into recreationally using coke. For me I feel like it was the only thing to stop me in my tracks. God was telling me, “This lifestyle is going to kill you, if you don’t stop.” No one told me that I had to or needed to quit doing anything with exception of the smoking of course. I made the decision for myself. I lived more than 22 years numbing my emotions and abusing my body. I plan on living the next half of my life sober and treating my body well. I’m so much happier I don’t have the burden of it all weighing me down. I’m developing closer and more meaningful relationships with those around me, I’m present for all the functions I used to be wasted at, I’m saving so much money, I’m getting fit and working out and eating clean. I’m a new and very different person in 6 months. I can’t wait to see the result from these improvements down the road. There’s a lot more I can go into and I’ll get into it for another time. I’ve never said any of this out loud l, let alone type it out to a forum of strangers. Thanks for reading and for welcoming me!

6 Likes

6 months is great! There are some great people here and a lot of support! Just wanted to welcome you.

2 Likes

Welcome to st @ChristopherX. I’ve only been on here just over a week myself and I think it’s brilliant. I was hit with some strong cravings a couple of hours ago but have so far dealt with them with info and tips that I picked up on this forum :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing your story, I can relate to a lot of what you said especially being all or nothing person that’s me to a tea. Sounds like you are giving sobriety your all now and that fantastic and very inspiring. Xx

3 Likes

Yes people always behave negatively. The most important thing is not to care for their affirmation. Believe in yourself. I am saying this and this is my first day. This place helps a lot. Here people believe and care for each other

1 Like

Literally in the same place as you! New and one week down. I encourage you to fight for YOURSELF, YOUR Sobriety and then everyone will have NO goice but to believe you mean what you say even if this is this time around that makes them realize it! Good luck, one day at a time!

2 Likes

Welcome and congrats on 6 months. This is a great place to find support and to support others.

1 Like

Thank you @anon13078412! Good luck on your journey also!

1 Like

Just wanted to say I love your name and welcome! This and the murderino sobriety fb groups have majorly impacted my sobriety, I’m glad you’re here!

1 Like