New member, new day 1. Thought I would check in

Well, I’m new here. Just wanted to say hi. Took my last drink last night but I decided then that I wouldn’t go get anymore today. I’ve tried to quit for good several times, I do want to quit forever because that 1 drink so often turns into a 2 week binge. But I’m not at the point where I get the shakes or panic yet from going without it so today is a good day to make day 1. I don’t want to turn these past 2 days of drinking into another situation where I go through withdrawals at the end.

Anyway, I know I’ll have cravings later, I think I can let go of them and not give in. But I wanted a place where I could talk about it, hold myself accountable, maybe make new friends since I don’t have any AA groups close by.

Well, I wish everyone here a good day.

15 Likes

Welcome to the sober crew! This forum is full of amazing advice, experience, and support from around the world.

If you are interested in some online meetings theres the intherooms app or the everything aa app people like

3 Likes

Welcome!! This can definitely be a good place to share and get support. Glad you are here. When you get those cravings, come on here and reach out. There is usually someone around to listen.

1 Like

Yay! Welcome to TS! So many supportive people are here.

1 Like

Welcome!!! 1 week in for me and i have to say, you came to the right place. No explanation needed, you’ll see what everyone here knows.

3 Likes

Welcome on The Forum!

Committing to never drink again is hard.

Try to commit to just one Day.

Just for today we will not put the poison called
alcohol into our body.

You can do this, stay strong! :muscle::pray:

3 Likes

I’m on day 2 and like you, hope to keep the cravings controlled. I made it through yesterday St Patrick’s Day (I have Irish descendance) and am proud of that, but today is a new day. Looking to stay sober and healthy :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Welcome HB. Probably a good idea to quit now before the withdrawals get worse. Because I’ll tell you from experience that as more time goes on they get progressively worse and the relapses get harder to come back from. Keep coming back for support. :v:

4 Likes

Congrats on day 2, same here. Same here with the Irish heritage lol I used to use that as excuse and my entire family are hard drinkers but for me it gets to the point where I’m a non functioning alcoholic. I’d forgotten about it being St. Pattys yesterday. But I didn’t drink. I’m definitely craving some today but oh well, I think I can keep myself occupied.

1 Like

Thanks and yeah my old friend Kindling. Know him well. Got to the point where I can be sober for a couple weeks but just a 5-6 day binge will bring back the shakes and real minor hallucinations. Not full on pink elephants but little I think I see spiders on the wall in the corner of my vision things and panic attacks, impending doom, etc. It really sucks.

I’m on day 2 now, no withdrawal from those last few days of drinking but my friend kept me eating. One of my problems is when I drink I don’t eat at all, I’m sure that doesn’t help. Thing is, since I didn’t get horribly sick this time I still get that little gremlin on my shoulder saying it’ll be ok to have a little. Just a little this time, it’ll be different than the past 2000 times.

Lol, I know you’re full of shit little gremlin.

3 Likes

Hey there. I like your post :postal_horn: maybe I can help out a little bit. I am currently on Suboxone … Because I was on heroin really bad and got a chance to go to a place called clean slate where I’ve been on Suboxone now for 2 months, they do off Suboxone fr people trying to get off of alcohol as well have you ever thought about something like that. Now I’ve been sober for over two months and subxone has truly changed my life honestly :dna: I’ve remained sober it’s a day by day process and one day at a time but you can do this. This is a great place to start you should start going to AA meetings also. There’s a lot out there I’m here to chat anytime keep up the good work !!?

4 Likes

Thanks, I’d heard of suboxone but hadn’t heard of it for alcohol. I don’t have a regular doctor right now that I could ask about it. I have wound up in the ER a couple times for DT’s and vomiting blood and asked for Antabuse but they told me that wasn’t something they wanted to prescribe in the ER and to go to my regular doc. Something to think about though, thanks.

I didn’t drink tonight, the craving was there earlier this afternoon but it went away. I try to play it forward in my mind before I drink, because I know if I do, once the first bottle starts wearing off I’ll just get aggravated as shit and antsy and restless until I can get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ bottles.

2 Likes

Yeah you would have to go to an actual Suboxone clinic regular doctors do not perscribe subxone … But do u work and have insurance I work at UPS and have great benefits so that’s how I pay for my subs :slight_smile: but yeah alcohol has a lot of similar withdrawal symptoms that heroin does so yes they definitely use it for alcohol as well research some Suboxone clinics in your area! Where do you live I am from Indianapolis Indiana btw brandy nice to meet you !!

Welcome to the community! Come back and keep sharing your story and congratulations on starting your journey :slight_smile:

I was given Suboxone in rehab for opiate addiction. I only took it for 5 days to ease my withdrawals . symptoms. That was my choice. I didn’t want to trade my long term heroin and OxyContin addiction for another opiate addiction. My choice. There were others in my facility who felt certain that Suboxone would be a long term substitute to maintain sobriety. I have not heard of treating alchohol addiction with Suboxone. Be aware it is an opiate. In any case welcome to this community and be sure to return.

Lol no it is not an opiate. It’s an opiate blocker my friend here’s some more into

1 Like

1 Like

I did look a little more into it I do see if it some kinda maybe partial optiate but when I get drug screened I don’t test positive for opiates . Just for the Suboxone or bupheronine but thanks for caring I do appreciate it

1 Like

Hi @FoxMcCloud , welcome to TS. Sounds like you’ve made the right decision to recover and live life sober. I know it’s changed my life for the better! I remember in the beginning, there were so many hurdles to jump, especially in the first 12 months - but with each one cleared I become more confident and able to believe in myself. Being sober takes hard work and dedication, but you can do it :slight_smile: Just remember, don’t drink that first drink, then there can’t be a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on. And, if you’re thinking about having a drink, play the tape all the way through. Its so easy to glamorize drinking when we’re feeling good, but deep down we know the truth. Alcohol is poison.You decided to stop for a reason - never forget your reasons. Remind yourself everyday that you’re best life is a sober life. When I first joined TS, I was on here everyday, reading and learning, sometimes for hours at a time. It helped a lot. Take this one day a time, don’t worry about never drinking again, just focus on the day in front of you and decide that today you will not drink. Best wishes to you. You’ve got this. Enjoy your new, wonderful, sober life

It is hard for me to understand fully as a layperson with no medical training. I absolutely care! I saw Danny Strong the creator and director of the miniseries Dopesick,excellent series,on Bill Maher’s show . He was singing the praises of Suboxone. He feels that it is a great choice for addicts to maintain sobriety even if it is a life long program. I agree. For me it was a choice and I feel blessed that after over 20 years of addiction to opiates I am approaching one year clean. I really like when we share and learn from one another on TS. Thanks for the connection and interaction @Brjktlj89 Brandy. Hope your Sunday is blessed.

2 Likes