New patterns

I’m almost at a month sober. I haven’t been to an AA meeting yet as I’m nervous, but also feel so alone in my journey.

I’m so happy to be sober and I know it’s the right decision but it’s hard now to know where I fit in and finding by new friends and patterns.

Ive experienced a lot of lost this year and I’m hoping this will help me heal, instead of running away.

16 Likes

If u can get the strength to walk into a meeting you will be in a room full of people who won’t judge u for ur struggles. U may even make life long friends

7 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes

Congratulations on almost a month. Glad you found us.

I can totally relate to this.
I started my sober journey right here. I had a lot of knowledge about addiction because of my children. I attended Al-Anon meetings to deal with the affects of having addicts in my life.

I always said if I struggled with my sobriety I would attend AA meetings. Well, I haven’t been struggling with my sobriety but I am struggling with my wife’s sobriety. Back to Al-Anon meetings and I’m actually, finally, going to AA speaker meetings because of my wife. Well the first one was because of my wife.

I continue to go to that “open” AA Speaker meeting every Friday now for me. Because i like it. I guess I’ll keep going until I feel I belong. I love the format of that meeting. I don’t share yet. I don’t feel pressured to share. I do feel comfortable at this meeting.

Anyway………
This sober community has been instrumental in my recovery. Especially the gratitude thread. When I’m sober I got so much to be grateful for.

Have a good read around. Join in when your comfortable.

Welcome to Talking Sober! 2023 update!

Hope to see you around.

:pray:t2::heart:

7 Likes

Welcome friend, you never have to do this alone now youve found us, we all understand here, glad to have you aboard, big hug from me :people_hugging: :heart:

3 Likes

Welcome! Great job on your sobriety :clap: When I first got sober I didn’t know what to do and a week in I found this forum. It helped me so much to read others stories that were so similar to mine. When I got to 2 months, and still plagued by my regrets, I mustered up the courage to make it to my first meeting. It was life changing for me. I’d never felt so welcomed and comfortable around a new group of people. I went every day after that. I know it may seem intimidating, especially sober, but I do recommend it when you’re ready. Until then, keep on reading around here and reach out when you’re in need. Keep up the good work :grin:

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on ur almost 1 month of sobriety! Way to go also on ur decision to maybe attend ur first AA mtg. I was extremely nervous also attending my first 12 step mtg but i was surprised to see how welcoming everyone was. I made so many good solid clean and sober friends thru those rooms and learned sooo much about addiction and recovery. It made a huge impact.

2 Likes

Big decision to go to a meeting but my experience for me it was the right one and im sure it will be for you , over the years ive been to many meetings all over the world even in Sweden, Stockholm, Gothenburg, so maybe give them a try wish you well

1 Like

Welcome to this community @Swedish . Maybe try a virtual AA meeting if you feel nervous about it. Just a thought. Glad you’re here.

In my case being in AA meetings is a kind of challenge. I am a very shy person and very worried about my intimacy. I do not use to trust in others so, open myself in AA is a proof and also a help.

• I have to take into account others words.
  • I must recognize my problem, I am alcoholic, it is not same recognize it that say it in loud voice, this last one helps a lot.
  • I have to trust that I am going to be anonymous and none of the people in the room is going to reveal what I say. In my case it is same that confessing with a priest.

I encourage to go to the meetings. Keep in mind that you are going to listen people who have the know how of the alcoholic problem. You also can listen, no need to speak, but it also helps.

Regards.

1 Like