New road to recovery

I’m new on here figured I’d try this out ive been struggling with meth(iv) for over 4 years and I’ve tried to kick the habit several times just to go right back to it but im determined to keep fighting for my recovery ive delt with alot in the past several years and im lucky to still be here today does anyone have any advice for me that could help me with the cravings and the withdrawal from meth is there anything that helps as far as getting energy and self confidence back?

3 Likes

Hello & welcome to the group! My DOC is alcohol & I don’t want to give wrong advice as far as dealing with meth cravings, but I can tell you that when you start putting some clean time together, your self confidence will return. I know from experience that its hard to see that in early recovery, but please trust that it will. I’ve been sober for 17 months and I’m a way different person than I was 17 months ago. Take some time and search through some old posts here. There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience to catch up on. Good luck to you!

I got clean in 2002. I used daily. It took a while for me to feel good. The only thing that made me feel good was milestones in recovery. 30 days, 60, 90 etc. it takes time to heal and for the brain to start producing its own feel good chemicals again.

its an emotional rollercoaster. It gets frustrating not feeling happy. You have to power through the rough feelings and stay clean no matter what. This to shall pass.

I slipped a few years ago. I didn’t use daily, occasionally, but I binged. Last time I did it, I did alot. I went into a terrifying pshychosis. It took a month for me to feel connected to this dimension, if that makes any sense. I was just going through the motions, but felt disconnected from everything. My confidence and self esteem was shattered. I had impending doom anxiety. I was paranoid.

That was 14 months ago. I feel much better now. I still get anxiety attacks, but I have learned how to handle them. It usually happens when I don’t eat healthy, or get enough sleep. Its minor compared to how I felt 14 months ago.

I completely changed my lifestyle. I stay away from people places and things. If I see someone I used with or bought dope from, I dont even acknowledge them. I quit drinking and stay away from bars.

I try and do things that make me feel good, like art, and spend time in nature.

I spend the money I used to waste getting loaded on positive things that make me grateful Im clean and sober.

Support groups, the fellowship of 12 step recovery rooms, and this forum have helped me along the way.

Glad your here!

3 Likes