New Texan here

Hi, my name is Holly. I’ve been lurking for a few days. Everyone seems to be really supportive on here, so I decided to chime in.
I’m a 45 yr old mother of 3. I’ve been drinking alcohol since I could steal it from my dads stash as a teenager. Up until I met my current husband I was a “bottle of wine a night” drinker. But when I met my husband 7yrs ago I added drinking whisky to that. I also put on 45lbs during that time. This last year has been hell, and my drinking has become “black out” drinking every night. I’ve wanted to quit, and tried several times. This time I’M DONE and I definitely feel different about quitting this time. Today is 6 days, and I’m so proud of myself for making it past last night (Friday night). I got up early this morning, and felt great! That’s a new one for me!
I feel like this site has very supportive members and I love that. My whole family is full of alcoholics, so I won’t be telling anyone right now. They’ll just laugh at me, and I don’t need that right now.

15 Likes

Take all of the time you need before telling people. I didn’t start telling anyone until I was about 60 days in. That’s even the first time I posted on here, was at 60 days.
I still don’t openly talk about being an alcoholic. In the beginning, I quit to save money. So, i would tell people that. Then started telling them I just decided to stay sober after I hit my goals.
People generally won’t push the subject.
Congratulations on 6 days! Keep up the momentum. Waking up without a hangover is always better than the alternative. :blush:

4 Likes

Congratulations on quitting and welcome!

1 Like

Welcome to talking sober. Pull up a chair and make yourself at home. Sobriety ain’t easy and it takes a lot of getting used too.

3 Likes

Hi Holly!

Welcome! Making the decision to get sober is one of the best decision you can make. I’m so happy for you! It’ll be nice to have another Texan around as well!

1 Like

Hello- and welcome. It’s very supportive here, I’m often in the shadows but posting more recently :blush:

2 Likes

Welcome to The Forum Holly. This site is part of my daily sobriety routine which includes going to AA meetings, working a 12-step program with my sponsor, reading the first 164 pages of the Alcoholics Anonymou’s Big Book and having conversations with other like-minded alcoholics. This has been a successful recipe for staying sober for myself. putting together 286 daily reprieves in a row for me.
It sounds like you’ve hit rock bottom and you have thrown down the shovel. No more digging for you. It also sounds to me like you have a solid foundation that you can start building a beautiful life upon. You sound like a strong woman or you would not be here now. We here in this form know that you can do this. Sobriety is a one day at a time program, sometimes even one hour at a time. Proud of you for summonsing the courage to take that first step into sobriety. But for the grace of God go I. Stay safe my friend and above all be kind to yourself.

2 Likes

I apologize for miscounting . I have 298 days today clean and sober.:+1:

1 Like

Hi Holly!
Welcome!

Hey there, welcome! I’ve found this place to be amazing. Its my primary sober support and it certainly lives up to the task. Hope to see you around for a very long time.

1 Like

Hey Holly! Welcome & really glad you’re here! You are definitely among 1000’s of new best friends… We’ll encourage you, speak honestly & openly & we’ll willingly share whatever advice & support we’ve got to help you on your sober journey :hugs: Congratulations on your decision 6 days ago to walk away from alcohol ~ best decision ever :+1:t3:

Welcome and congratulations!!! What a fantastic decision sobriety is…you can find tons of support in here and there’re a search bar so you can read up on whatever you’re wondering about regarding your new sober life. Glad to have you here❤️

Howdy! (I think they say that in TX lol) welcome! You will meet some great people here. Congrats on making the choice to become,and stay, sober! You are on the right track so keep it up!

1 Like

Hi Holly - I’m also Holly, an alcoholic 44 year old mother of two. We have a lot in common. I also used to spend a lot of time in Texas when I dated a bagpiper from there. (Long story…and I digress…)

Tell people in your own time - or not. My closest friends know. My mother does not. As long as you are doing what you need to do to stay sober, you are doing great. I’m glad you are here. This forum has been a tremendous source of support for me. Keep coming back!

1 Like