New to All of this, day one Sober

Not sure how to even start this or where my head is at, but I figured the first step is admitting to myself that I have an issue with alcohol. I don’t have to drink everyday, but if I have a day off, it’s the first place my mind goes too. With Covid and being in lockdown, it also seems like something to do to pass the time.
I can drink a lot! And sometimes I’m not terrible, but usually more often then not I just get belligerent and loose my motor skills. I have gotten violent in the past, as well.
I’ve done some embarrassing things in public, at parties, in front of friends and family.
I know I have to stop. I know a large part of me wants to stop… but then I talk myself back into a few days later.
I call people when I’m really drunk and it’s the worst. I text gibberish messages to people, because I’m sad and alone.

I have a hard time with the thought of AA as I’m not a religious person so I can’t get into it. Also, we’re I live, there is only one meeting area and it’s really far away.
I’d like to just be done with drinking.
Be strong enough to say no and change my thinking, but I know it will be very hard. So I’m hoping joining this community will help some.
Thanks so much

9 Likes

@Furrbizzz I joined this group for the same reasons! I think we are in the right group :blush:

3 Likes

I’m literally following you around :rofl::rofl::rofl:hope your well :+1:

1 Like

listen to jen I can’t give better advice than that but I can tell you I didn’t believe in God and I didn’t believe I needed AA but when all other options failed me and it was either kill myself or pray I decided to pray, I don’t know what to but I found myself in AA and I’ve never been happier, there are other programs you can try this is just the one that worked for me, whatever you do, don’t do this alone bc you don’t have to everybody wants you to be sober.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum.
I can relate to the phoning and texting, I phoned my ex husband last time :see_no_evil: never again! Lol

1 Like

Welcome to TS! This is a great place for support and advice; lots of amazing people here.

1 Like

Welcome! I found reading a lot on this forum in my early days very helpful. Staying active on here and AA has kept me sober for the past 16 months. As others have said, AA is not religious. I wouldn’t be going twice a week if it were.

1 Like

So glad you’re here! Being sober is a great place to live. It does get easier with time and application. Just like most things. So, stick around please your mind and body deserve it!

2 Likes

AA meetings are always just a click away. https://aa-intergroup.org/oiaa/meetings/

I think you are in the right place! I’m approaching day 3 and I’ve already been given such encouragement. Stay strong :muscle:

3 Likes

Day one and 17 hours for me. I have been working in the craft beer and alcohol industry for over 20 years. A major part of my identity revolves around alcohol. Every year I would take a few weeks off from drinking to prove to myself that “I don’t have a problem”. When I questioned my alcohol intake I would remind myself that the last time I blacked out was 15 years ago. After Covid hit my steadfast rule of not drinking before 3pm went out the window because, why not? We’re in a pandemic, right? My entire work and social networks revolve around alcohol.

I don’t know if that my road to sobriety will look like, but what I do know is that I have to make this change for myself and my son. I know that AA is a resource available to me if I need it, but the meeting in my tiny town is also very religious and makes me feel uncomfortable. I joined here in the hopes to help me work through some of these challenges as I navigate this new road to living sober.

4 Likes

Welcome @Furrbizzz
Congratulations on taking that first step too. It can be a little scary. Looks like your getting some great advice from some great people. I don’t do AA. But I have been to many AA and NA meetings because of my lovely offspring addicts. And if worked a 12 step program with Alanon which gave me my sanity back. I get what you mean about religious stuff. I don’t think religion is the right word but I know exactly what you mean. There are many groups out there. I went to 2 or 3 Alanon groups that I just didn’t like the vibe. Then on my 4 try I found a meeting that was PERFECT. I kept going back because I was worth it.
The vibe at all the different meetings is different.

Anyway. If you stick around here maybe that’s all the support you need.
We hope to see you around.
One day at a time.
:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like