New to being sober need help

Hello all.

So happy to be apart of this app.
I am 3 days sober. This is all new to me.

I’m looking for any advice anyone would like to share with me.

All my friends like to drink. The only time we hang out is when we drink. I’ve decided to delete every single one of those “friends” contact information.

Me and my boyfriend drink and fight every time we drink. The next day over how drunk and messy I get. I can’t just have a drink I have to have 10. I have stopped drinking for 2.5 months before but now I want to prove to myself I can create a sober life.

I need new sober things to do with my kiddos and boyfriend.

Please send me any advice.

I hope this time I can change. Alcohol has destroyed my life I want to be in charge now.

11 Likes

Welcome Veronica. I had to leave all my friends behind too. Our time together consisted of drinking and drugging. I don’t miss it at all. I met new friends at AA meetings and we go out and do fun sober activities together. I was with them this weekend and I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time. It’s refreshing to be able to have a good time and wake up hangover free.

5 Likes

Thank you for this feedback.

I’m thinking I’m going to def need to leave mine behind as well.

How long have you been sober?

1 Like

Welcome Veronica, you’re in the right place. Keep reading and explore the threads and you’ll find lots of information and experience. You’ll learn a lot & you’ll get ideas :innocent:

Sassy has a nice personal reflection here that covers a lot of ground - and her list of reasons why she stays sober is a helpful one to keep on hand for reminders!

Never give up. Never doubt this: you’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

4 Likes

I’ve been sober 2 years. Covid lockdown prevented me from getting out and meeting new people. I couldn’t wait for meetings to open back up. Isolation is my worst enemy and not having anyone to talk to made it worse. I ended up spending a lot of time engaging on here to get through it sober.

5 Likes

I ma so proud of you! 3 days is rough!! (I’m on day 4 :slight_smile: I’ve quit sooo many times and it always come back to the same conclusion. Today I went to my first AA meeting and it wasn’t nearly as intimidating as i thought (I’m very shy, introvert, anxiety) i didn’t have to talk, i didn’t have to do anything. I just observed and no one bothered me. Haha. But back to you!

You are in the right spot. Keep that timer ticking away! As soon as I declared my sobriety (for the billionth time) this time a sober friend fell into my lap!

You don’t even know what the world has in store for you!! Stick to your goals. You will save so much money!

6 Likes

Hi and welcome,
Every day sober is one to attach to your string of sober days. Every day exta is becoming a bit stronger. Focus on today and how to live trough it sober and repeat after that :wink:
Come here if you feel the urge to drink, there is always someone to talk to.
This app has helped me tremendously to become and to stay sober. I hope it helps you the same amound!

See you around!:raising_hand_woman:

2 Likes

Welcome Veronica! 3 days is great. You are off to a nice start!

I’m the same. It gets old. So much more fulfilling not drinking and the next day not being wrote.

I’m way nicer to people too.

Money is not being wasted nor my potential.

Buy yourself something nice with the savings.
Spend a bit more even, and then you have to stay sober till you’ve saved that much.
Works for me.
I got a new (to me) skidoo, which will be paid off next week, with the money I would have spent on booze and blowing off work.

Good luck!

1 Like