New to sobriety, I am exausted

Hi everyone, I am new. I am about 20 days sober. I was able to get 3 weeks sober in February, but one of my best friends past away, so I went back to drinking. I’m ready to start on my journey once again, hopefully better to handle situations like this.

The most sober time I’ve had in the past decade or more has been 2 months (in 2018), and I’ve had more sober days this year than I have in the past few years. I am hoping I can keep this up.

One thing that I am noticing is that I am SO EXAUSTED. I feel better in almost every way. I am no longer showing up late to work every day, I am able to eat/shower or otherwise take care of myself. I am properly taking my medications, I am taking suppliments, etc. I’m not dehydrated all the time. But on the weekends, I can barely get out of bed.

I have struggled with depression for years, but lately my mood has been really positive. I feel good about myself. But on the weekends when I am just hanging out at home, I can’t seem to keep myself awake. I slept for 20 hours on Saturday.

Is this normal in early recovery?
I think that maybe I expected myself to have more energy by now, even though it hasn’t even been a month. I used to feel tired and sluggish all the time, and I figured it was because I was always hungover. But now I just feel exausted even though I don’t physically feel “ill”.

I’ve been through a great deal of traumatic experiences in the past few years, and I’ve had to move several times. I also have a physically demanding job. When I was drinking, I could suddenly find the energy to do my laundry, go out and socialize, etc. Now it feels like I don’t have the energy to do anything except for going to work.

I recently had bloodwork done that indicated I have some early signs of liver damage. I know its not going to heal itself over night.

I guess I was just hoping I’d feel at least a little better physically by now. Or I’m worried that this is just who I am even without alcohol or drugs.

Does this ever get better?

7 Likes

Yes it does get better and yes it’s normal to feel so tired at the beginning of your recovery :blush:
So do not worry about it.
Your body has been neglected for a long time as well as it has to work hard right now to find itself a new balance. It was used to live with alcohol in his system and is working hard now to get all the remains out.
Give your body what it needs like healthy food and rest. Sleep as much as needed, hot showers help too. It’s going to be better soon.
You find more information about the stages in recovery in this thread, very helpful:

So welcome here, you are at a good place! This app helped me a lot with sobering up.
Sober for a few years now!
I wish you the same so keep going! :facepunch:

4 Likes

Afraid some tiredness as your body realigns is normal. 20 hours sleep is a little much but if your blood work suggests only minor liver damage it is unlikely to be that causing it. One thing I’ve learned is that although there are themes in how we recover, no two recoveries are the same. It sounds like other than a need for a lot of sleep the rest of your life has improved a lot so maybe keep focussed on that as you continue to recover. Welcome!

1 Like

Everyone is a bit different but side effects are pretty common.

I found I have intolerance for certain things in food and drink, and because I’ve been increasing drinking other things I was wondering ‘why am I feeling sick, itchy and headachey some days when I’ve quit booze?’

So think about that. At weekends are you drinking more coffee than before? More cordial? More fizzy drinks? Alcohol free beer? It might not be but watch out for artificial sweeteners, nitrates, sulphites, and, I’ve found - fermented goods like balsamic vinegar.

Maybe write down what you’ve been eating and drinking the day before and see if there’s a correlation between your diet and how you feel?

I still have mornings when I wake up feeling really unwell but they have reduced and I am increasingly aware what the triggers might be.

Keep going!! Being sober is such a relief. I feel some pain and regret for my decades of drinking but I’m trying to live more in the moment and be happy. It’s not always an easy choice but once you’ve got past the tough first few months it’s like a big light goes on when you realise you’re beating it. It’s fantastic.

2 Likes

Check out PAWS post acute withdrawal syndrome. Basically as others have said, if you have treated your body poorly for a long time, it takes a long time to recover. It does get better. :purple_heart:

Try a b vitamin complex as we are often depleted in those after drinking and drugging and they affect energy and sleep…and a milk thistle supplement to support your liver xx

1 Like

It does get better, you’re going through a challenging time. It’s normal to hope for quicker improvements, but healing takes time, especially considering the impact of past traumas and the strain on your body.

Receiving results indicating early signs of liver damage can be alarming, but it’s a positive step that you’re addressing it now. With continued sobriety and proper medical care, your body has the potential to heal and regain strength over time. It’s important to be patient with yourself and to prioritize self-care, even if it means adjusting your expectations for what you can accomplish in a day.

You’ve already taken significant steps by committing to sobriety and seeking help, and with perseverance and support, things can indeed get better. I wish you will.

2 Likes

Yes, it is normal. Our bodies, minds and spirits are healing…and that is hard work. It does get better…way way better. If your body is craving rest, let it rest. Listening, truly hearing and honoring our body/mind/spirit, is a wonderful part of sobriety. Glad you are here!!!

3 Likes

Just want to welcome you aboard, @DaniBee . Great advice already given! :pray::heart: