New. Trying to stay sober

I’ve been dealing with depression for a long time. Within the last year I’ve heavily resorted to alcohol to make me feel better. A week ago I tried to kill myself and told someone and they called the police on me. I spent two days in crisis cause of this. I’m skipping a bunch of details. I thought this would be enough to make me stop wanting to drink. 9 days later, I bought some alcohol. Aka right now. I’m not sober right now. Have to work tonight. Just looking for some help I guess. Anyway, thanks for reading this I guess. Don’t know what I’m doing.

Sometimes I wonder, did drinking start my depression or was I depressed and starting drinking… I know for a fact the drinking caused me to be more depressed.

Always trying to hide my problem, trying to sober up enough to work and control my symptoms.

Stop drinking! You can’t make any progress mentally by self medicating. Your letting all your problems stack up, and creating new ones you can’t address by drinking. The famous saying, “ I forget my problems when I drink!” is the addiction talking and not you.

Find a therapist, or an AA group to get started. You can do this if you put your mind to it.

3 Likes

I tried to take care of my depression by drinking but that only made it so much worse. Alcohol IS a depressant! I finally buckled down and saw a therapist. She put me on medication which helped within a couple weeks. However, you have to consistently take it. There’s no point being on it if you’re just going to drink. That just defeats the purpose. It definitely helped me so maybe it could help you too.

Been there done that several times over bud. Read my story, you’ll find we have much in common.i struggled with and still struggle today with my depression. All med free. Since i quit drinking i have dedicated to being chemical free in my body. Therapy and groups help. I attended a grief support group shortly which helped. If sobriety is somthing that you really want to commit to, you will ashtrays find a way. Many people get discouraged quickly because of little or slow progress, withdrawal, and depression. But remeber, “progress, not perfection”. One thing in my early recovery group i gottold right of the bat, you will probably fail, but if you are still able to try and stay sober after, you’ve already won.

1 Like

I’ve felt depressed for a very long time. It started in my teens. But since I resorted to drinking. I do agree that it feels like I’m depressed cause of drinking. After talking to some of the doctors at crisis. I am looking into a therapist. I know I have to stop this before it ruins my life.

I did decide to dumb the rest out though before going to sleep. Luckily I stopped and was sober when I woke up so I can work. I hate working night shift. I don’t want to take any drugs for this. I’m hoping just therapy will be enough. I tried anti depressants one time and the side effects were crazy.

Night shift is tough. I did it for a few years when I was in my 20s. It probably isn’t helping your depression, either.

Not sure how long it’s been since you tried antidepressants, but some of the newer ones have fewer, milder side effects. If the therapy isn’t cutting it, or your therapist suggests it, you may want to give them a go.

I have not actually seen a therapist yet. I need to though. I called today and yet again no one answered. It’s been about 3 years since I’ve tried an antidepressant.

Talk to your doctor. I have severe depression and anxiety. My antidepressant works wonders for me. I’m also looking into a therapist right now. Its a great way to get all your emotions out.

Try to look into AA meetings. I know it doesnt sound that great, but i promise you it is! Ive been going to NA for a while now and it feels like home to me! Everyone is so friendly and its nice to be around people who are struggling with the same kind of things you are! The first time i went was pretty scarey, but with every meeting it got easier. Now i love it! I go every night! Hope this helps you!

1 Like

If you’re getting no response at one therapist, try another. You don’t want to deal with a therapist you can’t get through to.

1 Like