Newbie here. Help with sleep needed

So I am a drinker. I put a bottle of wine away every night of the week. My weight has gone up by 4 stone over 4 years and my health is deteriorating. The reason I drink is to ease my high anxiety levels which are particularly bad in an evening meaning it can take me hours to fall to sleep if i was sober. I dislike day drinking and to me, my drinking serves as a sleeping aid and nothing more. I have joined this site today because I know I can not continue like this. I have tried herbal sleeping tablets and relaxation apps. Does anyone have any helpful advice on sleep without alcohol? Thanks in advance.

Your story sounds like I could’ve written it myself. That’s me exactly. I am
On day 14 now not sure about you? One thing I can say is alcohol numbs anxiety short term but definitely increases it long term and creates a vicious cycle. Two weeks in my anxiety is much much less. Yes I have tried sleep apps and some work. There is one called sleep easy by Shazzy I find good . What find has helped most this time is this app which has helped adjust my mindset a lot through reading all the posts and advice on here. Reading a book at night time till I can’t keep my eyes open. Using lavender essential oil in my bath, on a hankie and on my pillows also helps with relaxation but the first few days sober will be tough no matter what. I’ve tried many times before but am more determined than ever this time but just taking one day at a time. Also walking helps your body relax and herbal teas. It’s trial and error for whatever works for you. Stick around in here and don’t be afraid to ask anything no matter how trivial you may think it is I guarantee there will be someone else who will identify with it. Good luck on your journey and stay strong you can do it x :heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your kind response. This is my first day and I know it will be hard. It’s nice to know there are other people who can emphasize and relate to my situation. Walking is one I hadn’t though about so I will definitely give that a go! It will help with the weight too lol. Thanks again and well done to you and your progress so far :clap::blush:

2 Likes

I only really feel anxious at night. I suffered abuse as a child and it seems at night when I’m lying down to sleep, my thoughts and imagination starts running wild and I get anxious for my own children and loved ones. Imagining bad things that could happen to them to the point of almost having an anxiety attack…or I have a bottle of wine and I’m asleep within minutes without any of that.

2 Likes

You’re very welcome. Not sure where you’re from. People on here from all over the world. I’m from Northern Ireland. With regards to weight loss. What I would say is you will probably really crave sugar inthe first week or more as your body is missing it from the alcohol. Don’t beat yourself up if you eat sugary foods or over indulge. The main priority is to bury the demon alcohol. I actually have put on weight which I definitely didn’t need to but I know in the next while it will come off again as I’m adjusting to eating more healthy and nourishing my body, just dovwhat feel right for you . Whatever it takes to say no to the bottle and worry about the rest later. Happy sober Sunday from Northern Ireland . The sun is actually shining here :blush:

2 Likes

Night time is always the worst for all the thoughts that keeping busy during the day can keep at bay. I’m so sorry for what you went through . Have you thought of counselling to help you cope with that? It may be something that could help. You sound like a great mum with your children at forefront of your mind. You’ll be an even better mum when you can put your own demons to rest and give yourself the self care you deserve. Big hugs

3 Likes

Thank you :blush: I’m from Nottinghamshire, England. My fella is from Ireland though and we are over there next month. It’s so beautiful. Wish the sun was shining here! It’s not stopped raining. Thank you for being so supportive, you’ve really encouraged me to do this​:kissing_heart:

1 Like

You’re very welcome . Let your kids be your sunshine today. I hope you have a lovely day. Yes it’s lovely here when it’s sunny ! Yesterday was dreadful with rain so I’m gonna get out walking for a while after I’ve done my housework. Good luck and chat anytime x

Obviously it’s not ideal and I would give anything to fall to sleep naturally at a decent hour but alcohol stops my mind running wild which in turn stops the anxiousness. I’m not getting into an argument but that is my personal experience.

1 Like

Have you quit drinking already? Sleep doesn’t improve for some after they quit drinking, and for some it does. Do you exercise? Cardio and weights? Have you tried taking a hot bath before bed? Magnesium is a great supplement that helps regulate the nervous system, helps with sleep and anxiety… have you tried it before? It could take some time figuring out what your body needs and will require determination and patience on your part.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear about your past. I had a similar one and used alcohol too. Sleeping after I quit i was tough. Start taking vitamins a multi and vitamin b. I also found that if I was busy during the day walking, cleaning, yard work whatever I slept better at night. Maybe a guided sleep meditation? I thought I slept well with alcohol but I sleep much better now that I’m sober. I’m glad your here. Keep reading and posting we are here to help each other.

3 Likes

Only thing i would add to this is make sure to stay plenty hydrated with atleast 2 liters of water a day. Also make a routine and try laying down and going to bed at the same time every night. Figure out what helps u sleep. Watching tv and finally passing out or just turn the tv off and let it be complete darkness and silence.

2 Likes

I’m a survivor as well, and my addiction was absolutely related to the pain of my experiences as a child. Have you been working with someone on that part of it? I’m a big advocate for EMDR therapy but I know it’s not for everyone. That’s not an immediate solution though. A lot of people have positive experience with melatonin. I use meditation videos to fall asleep, you could give that a try?

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I’ve started with a complex b vitamin tablet. I know that it’ll be tough but every one on here has been really supportive.

I’ve been on antidepressants and sleeping tablets like amitriptyline and mirtazipine but they leave me too dozy the next day. I’m all for herbal remedies but don’t really want to be on any prescribed by a doctor. Been there, done that, didn’t help.

1 Like

Are you working with a therapist or anyone regarding the abuse? I don’t mean to pry, sorry if I’m getting too personal. For me addressing the root gave me tools to sleep better and get through moments of panic.

2 Likes

No I had counselling as a teenager and I wouldn’t say I have any issues with self esteem or confidence etc…

Maybe I misunderstood, or my examples were not good. You said panic and anxiety is part of the reason you’re not sleeping? Therapy can help with that.

Yes I suppose it’s an option. I don’t like raking things up though. My last counselling session was 20 years ago.

1 Like

Maybe try kalms day tablets. They take a while to work but are good x

1 Like