Newbie story

I’ve struggled with weed and alcohol addiction from 2007 to 2012. Wanting to have kids, I stopped in 2012 realizing I couldn’t keep this lifestyle if I wanted a family. I stopped. Easily. I had a goal.

After my second child in 2015, I used alcohol. A lot. It was problematic but since everyone drinks, it’s okay right? We see it less, everyone consumes alcohol around so…

And then, sports. I replaced my alcohol addiction with training. 7 times a week. Running more than 5k per day, focusing only on my training and my weight. Everyone was congratulating me on my weight loss, my determination…

October 2018: legalization
I’ve been struggling for the past year. I made huge mistakes. Looking for things to make me feel more. Getting hooked on anything that is intense.

And now I have problems facing an hour without vaping anything.

6 Likes

Welcome, Karine. Are you quitting both alcohol and weed?

Hi @Iwebt!

Weed only. I am able to have just one or two drinks and my stomach can’t handle much alcohol anymore!

1 Like

Ah okay. There are loads of people on this forum who share your struggles with weed, so stick around, and search the forum for more stories and info. How many days since you last vaped? How are you feeling?

3 Likes

You’re story sounds a bit like mine. I was always into fitness even while I smoked weed every day. But after having a second miscarriage in November of 2012 I decided to step up my health. I started eating a great diet and doing hiit workouts that changed everything about my physical/mental self. But was still smoking and drinking a lot. Around June of 2013 I was having breathing problems and went to the doctor and after a bunch of tests he told me my lungs looked 90 years old and if I didn’t stop I’d develop COPD. That scared me and got me to quit smoking and cut way back on drinking bc for me they went hand in hand. Got addicted to being healthy and was pregnant again a month later with my daughter. It went perfectly but after she was born I got back into my drinking. And after leaving her father after 8 years(she was 2 1/2) that spiraled out of control and that’s why I’m here now. Anyways, shes almost 6 now and I’ve been sober 2 months and everything has been better for us. It is challenging, especially being legal in so many states, but so worth the end result. You can definitely conquer this. Especially having such a strong will to be able to push yourself like you do during your training. You got this girl👍

4 Likes

When I first wrote my sentence it said, “My goal is to stop this weekend” but actually it’s more “I’m starting this on monday”. I have been thinking about it for a while and now I feel strong enough to conquer this.

You are strong enough, Karine. You’ve showed strength already by admitting and sharing your problem, and your desire to find a solution. But if there are times when you doubt that strength, come to the forum and talk it through. I look forward to reading more about your journey through sobriety as it unfolds. :heart:

1 Like

Hi Karine,
If you’re familiar with the carnival game “Whack-A-Mole”, that could be an apt analogy for your addiction path.

When I got sober, I got a lot of benefit from my weekly meetings with a drug and alcohol counselor. She helped me expand the AA program that I was pursuing and apply those same principles in many areas of my life.

There are root causes for our addictions, and some proven programs that help us eliminate the symptoms. I sincerely hope you find the right path that leads you to a serene sobriety,

And as @Iwebt has said, you don’t need to do this on your own. Whether it’s on Talking Sober or in your community, there is a tribe of like minded people who are ready, willing, and able to help you. You are the one who has to make the behavioral change, but there is so much help available to do that. Blessings on your house :pray:.

1 Like

Hey everyone! I love reading you and your tips. You are all so great and I want to thank you for this support. I’m not used to this since I’m the one who everyone comes to talk to (i’m a special care tech and a good friend :wink:)

As the days are passing by and approaching THE day , I’m getting more anxious but at the same time I feel ready to do this.

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: