Newfound Sobriety

Hi. My name is Heather. I’ve been sober from alcohol for 20 days :grinning: One morning I just decided to stop.
I had been drinking for about 15 years but the three months leading up to my sobriety I was straight drunk. I had been helping a friend who just lost his best friend. I could feel his pain in my heart. So we just stayed drunk. This is the first time I had ever been in a co dependent relationship and it was easy for me to see how unhealthy that was becoming. So I just stopped drinking and now I don’t want to go back to where I was.
I feel better. I feel more. I started going to the chiropractor, turns out my shoulders were pretty messed up but I think the alcohol was numbing some of the physical pain I was experiencing.
Iv started to paint again, a hobby I forgot how much I enjoyed. I’m listening to music again.
I’m eating way too much! I started drinking soda water, that’s new and fun. I also started a journal, mostly to track my behaviors; sleeping, drinking water, etc.

I own a microbrewery…
I’m nervous.
And I just wrote way too much :kissing_heart:

44 Likes

Welcome Heather! I’m glad you made the choice to quit drinking. We are both on day 20! Congrats!

4 Likes

Welcome Heather :hugs: Congratulations on 20 days, you made a good decision in quitting alcohol.
You don’t have to be nervous, this is a great community where everybody helps and supports each other :kissing_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi Heather. Welcome to TS.

You didn’t write too much. You share whatever it is you need to share here. We are here to listen and to give support.

Congratulations on your 20 days.

2 Likes

Oh trust me girl, that was in no way writing too much. I’m definitely a diarrhea of the mouth queen myself. Or diarrhea of the thumbs??? Anywho, it matters not. Type on!

Welcome to the most amazing forum ever IMO. You will find so much here and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :kissing_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes, these past couple of weeks has been, weird to say the least. For me it’s emotions, a little depression, eating everything in sight and a whole lot of sleep. I assume this is a normal phase, considering.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing. You sound like you’re feeling good! Keep at it :fist:t3::fist:t3:

3 Likes

Is anyone here quitting without AA?

3 Likes

Your makeup looks really pretty! Enjoy your evening.

1 Like

I’m not using AA, I’m 4 days sober and just sticking with this app and support from my family.

2 Likes

Your work is awesome. Keep doing it :fist:t3::fist:t3::fist:t3:

1 Like

@Lashline congrats on winning, both the award and 25 days! That’s awesome!

1 Like

@Dejavu Thank you. I’m glade you are still here. We really are going to make it one month, I can feel it! In the beginning one month sounded impossible…

@Lashline I’m not going anywhere! 30 days, here we come!

1 Like

Hi there, I’ll be back here regularly - is a great support! It helps to read others experiences, suggestions and tips. I also use Smart recovery online meetings and read or listen to recovery books. No AA for me.

2 Likes

You’re super awesome keep up the great journey

1 Like

You’re very welcome we all need to smile.Im95 days and counting clean of cocaine and alcohol.God is so awesome

1 Like

Your attendance should never be brought up outside of a meeting. What you see there, hear there STAYS there. I think it’s comforting to have the fellowship of a meeting. It might be a bit nerve racking walking through the door but you will find “your” people inside

2 Likes

I agree with @chad_r

I actually got to my first AA meeting b/c of a resentment. Someone who I felt had other intentions other than a 12 step call, told me that I would not go to one on my own and that I needed to be walked in to the meeting. No one was going to tell me that I couldn’t…so I did on my own. And I have been coming back ever since.

I have been embarrassed by who saw me in the rooms and I have felt bad that certain people saw me there. But in the end we are all there for the same reason and to help each other. That is what I have to remember.

3 Likes

4 Likes