Newly sober. Tips on staying busy

I just got out of rehab for alcohol. I currently am living at a halfway house and started back at work. I have Intensive out patient 3 times a week. But intensive out patient is ending soon and im stressing out about ways to stay busy and trying new things. Any tips or pointers much appreciated.

2 Likes

Exercise
Volunteer in a soup kitchen
Cinema
Video games
Walking
Learn an instrument like saxophone
Chess
Learn Russian
Go to a museum
Go to an art gallery
Go to a forrest
Cycle somewhere
Build a model airplane
Do a 5000 piece jigsaw
Learn how to make an android app
Netflix
Youtube
Build a website
Online computer gaming
Learn origami
Listen to music
Go on a date

7 Likes

I really appreciate the ideas. Its still hard for me to process that everything i did was revolved around drinking. Drinking was always first. I like the ideas that would get me away from the halfway house for a bit. Not having transportation has had me limited to spur of the moment adventures . Ive been having to plan things in advance .

1 Like

Exercise, just getting out and walking or biking is pretty awesome. And it is free and good for you. Big win! Find some things you enjoy…I love biking, yoga, workout classes, long hot baths, movies, reading, gardening, floating in the pool, baking and eating sweets. Puzzles are also fun. :full_moon_with_face:

And when you are newly sober, napping can be pretty awesome as well!!

3 Likes

Meet up will have movie nights,hiking what the heck ever a lot of stuff you choose based on your area,I have been looking into sober living meetumethods where I’m at.
A church be it Christian, Muslim,Wiccan,or Non Dom might help,a church is a community, a place to go,find the right fit and you can have a larger support group, even if the religious aspect might not work there are people who might be able to help.
You have come so far,you are stronger than you know,we are here.

2 Likes

@Expat, here is a great thread you may find helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I live in a rural area in Africa. I’m a foreigner and there are very few resources. Basically only a grocery store and a few shops. I don’t have Internet or a tv. There are no movie theaters or libraries or book stores. I walk a lot and watch the sunsets every day but the foreign community revolves around the bar (there is only one). I’m alone a lot when my kids are with their dad. I spend a lot of time cleaning and organizing and reading etc. I’m trying very hard and I don’t want to make excuses so I will focus on making a list. There is a lot of wildlife around. Even in my neighborhood so that keeps things interesting:)

3 Likes

http://watchdust.com/
Yayyyyy Sci Fi short films!
I still have to try it.
Here’s another activity,you can protest things that made you mad or are unjust that you just did not have the time or energy for when you were messed up.
You can practice keeping your level while encouraging other’s to not speak out of pure emotion and try to treat each other as human beings with different life experiences.
I try and try to do this as a spiritual and philosophical exercise ,uhhhhh, no one can tell though. :grinning:

This thread is awesome. I am totally going to strike up a conversation with a random stranger. That would be so far out of my comfort zone my little ticker would be going like the clappers!

I can see it now… casually walk up to someone cleaning their car…

Me: hi there heart racing
Stranger: hi
Me: what you doing wiping the windows or something?
Stranger: yeah
Me: thats a nice car what year is it?
Stranger: jeez kid i dunno take a hike!

5 Likes

I could!
I was once driving around the country roads in the late fall,no cover had to pee,saw someone working on a car and talked my way into using their bathroom.
My Boyfreind once told me I could talk my way out of a nuclear war,I think that was a compliment.

2 Likes

Ooooohhh,we could and I mean this,start an old fashioned pen pal letter group thing.
I mean it,my handwriting is atrocious and my typing is even worse!
You could have hours of fun trying to decipher what I wrote,
We could also send gifts,small things from where we’re at in the world.
Burroughs had letter art,and writing, a collaborative art effort where parts of poem’s and whatnot were mailed to each other and built upon.
The band Postal Service named themselves that because they lived in different cities bad would mail each other their parts of songs, or so they say and I like it so it stands.
Let’s do it.

3 Likes

Send me a leaf, a weed a flower a cool peice of glass found by the side of the road.
I am in Kansas City Missouri, more metropolitan than many would think, and NOT Kansas City Kansas,we have a hangup about being mistaken for each other even though I could ride my bike 8 blocks and be in Kansas, right now.

2 Likes

Anyone message me for my adress, it’s my friends shop so it will always get to me,let’s do it,or don’t whatever your thing is.
:wink:

Omg, I flagged your post by mistake @Oliverjava I’m so sorry. I’m new here, I meant to like it and hit the wrong button! :persevere::persevere::persevere:

2 Likes

I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea @Susana

1 Like

Oooh I love the pen pal thing! No clue what I would send or would even write about though :joy: Also not American so probably a long way from all of you haha.

And now I am thinking, though it is barely August, how about a Secret Santa this year? :christmas_tree::santa: I have always wanted to do that lol and I have so much time in the evenings now to get creative!

2 Likes

I love the idea of pen pals!! As far as keeping myself busy I am working on catching up on Netflix, taking walks with friends (I have a few who are sober, already) and my dog, I am moving at the end of the month so finding a place and I have a few pieces of furniture I want to strip and repaint to match my personal style more once I do move (Pinterest!), reading, I think I want to start blogging again, grocery shopping and cooking healthy food, I want to get my bike fixed and bike more, I want to take some sort of fitness class… Idk. I just hit the three day mark so I have been brainstorming because lack of planning has lead to failure in the past.

I want a pen pal :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: im in Illinois, northwestern