Next-day anxiety

I’m a newcomer on this app as of today.
I have a problem with binge drinking, and then I always feel anxious and emotionally sick the next day, one of the main reasons I want to be sober… I always have much more resolve to quit on these days even though I feel horrible, but it only lasts a couple days or until the next time I drink. How to I keep my resolve and remember why I want to stay sober in the first place?

7 Likes

Hi Jade :wave: Welcome!

I can so relate to what you’re describing. I might stop or take it easy for a week or a few weeks but always slipped straight back to blackout drinking and everything that goes with it. I’m coming up to 500 days without a drink and I can still remember the feeling you’re describing. I really held on to it - the shame, anxiety, sickness etc. That is what happens when I drink. That and mystery bruises, sharing things I wish I hadn’t, doing things I regret, feeling embarrassed when someone says hi to me while sober and I have NO IDEA who they are. The money spent, time wasted. You probably have your own list but I bet some of those things will be on there! It’s called playing your tape to the end. It’s so easy to romanticise drinking but if you’re here I’m guessing that means you’re falling out of love with it and everything that goes with it.

Write it down. @SassyRocks has a great list of all the things that sobriety means.

I’d recommend checking out some recovery resources. I read a book called This Naked Mind which I found helpful, there are lots more books and podcasts and blogs. Also find something new to do. Whether that’s something social or something just for you. Sobriety can be an exciting journey to embark on, you can fill your life with amazing things and you don’t have to feel like you’re missing out because of it.

There is SO MUCH information on this site, I would recommend reading, reading and reading some more. Use the search function :mag: if there’s something you’re wondering about, you will likely find someone who has been through a similar thing to you. Keep checking in and reach out whenever you need to :pray::sparkling_heart:

7 Likes

Hi Jade and welcome 🙋

It quite normal for us to romanticize the drinking after a few sober days. We like to “forget” the bad things alcohol do to us. It can help to write down those things. Make a list of the bad experience, the hangovers, blackouts, shame, etc. On the other side of that paper your “wish” list. How you want your sober life to be. Put it into your wallet and read when needed!

7 Likes

Welcome Jade!
I also finally, and for the last time, was tired of those anxious and emotionally sick feelings.
Ditto what @siand and @SoberWalker recommended.
So much helpful information here, so much support!
We are glad you are here!

6 Likes

The ladies above have all got very valid points so I’ll just say welcome and stick around.

3 Likes

Welcome here Jade and welcome to your sobriety. Lots of good advice already given. For me coming and posting here daily has been a great help as well. Accountability helps me a lot. That and a whole lot of other stuff which I am learning along the way. Life is much better on the sober side. Success!

2 Likes

Hi. I know this feeling well. When i started being sober i was on here constantly as i felt shitty and anxious…i thought I had problems with anxiety but It wasnt. It was how wine or alcohol poisoned me
It will pass …you can do this

3 Likes

Thanks so much to everyone for the support! I never thought about it as it being ‘romanticised’ and that actually makes a lot of sense!
I’m celebrating 7 days sober today, I went over to a friends house last night who also struggles with drink and I remained sober despite the temptation, so I’m proud of me.

7 Likes

Well done. U can do this. Focus on the rest of your life …the things which make u feel good …and get what ever support u need

2 Likes

Welcome!

The longer you stay here on this forum the more it’s clear that the difference between success and the opposite of success is whether or not you have a plan.

Wishing and hoping will only get you so far; not very far, actually. Takes well planned action.

Your plan doesn’t have to be long term. In fact,.it only needs to cover one day, from the time you wake up to the time you sleep. The plan of staying sober today.

Create your plan, commit to it, then follow it everyday.

1 Like