Nice read - Great Big Sea

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this. I didn’t realize this about him. I’ve spent many a drunken kitchen party listening to Great Big Sea. Drinking seems to be the norm in our culture out that way. Even my doctor here in ON makes joking comments like “oh, you East Coasters and your booze” when we discuss alcohol. I can totally imagine how challenging it would be for Séan to stay in NFLD; St. John’s in particular. A fun place, but fuelled by alcohol. That’s why “Screeching In” is so popular. It’s a right of passage if you visit. Newfies are nicest people in the country though I think :wink: but I’m biased with friends & family there. Oh, and their own unique language lol. I’ll have to read more about him on social media. Thanks again for sharing!

1 Like

And doesn’t everybody dance a little harder and sing a little louder to Great Big Sea?

Oddly, though, it makes me feel good to find out about now sober people . It just makes me feel like they “get it”. I’ve never heard his solo music but now I feel like I’ll have to check it out.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard his solo stuff so I’m curious to check it out as well. I’m just doing some reading on his Instagram. And I, too, now love to read about sober folks. Thanks again! Great share.
I must admit I’ll miss raising a glass to “Paddy Murphy” and “Old Black Rum” (which I would drink dark rum & soda water while dancing & singing to it)

2 Likes

I’ll always love Ordinary Day…and Mari-Mac is tons of fun too.

Gosh…I’m trying to remember when I saw them live. I know I have. I think a NYE party a million years ago. I’m sure I was plastered!!

2 Likes

@VSue I saw he’s got a book coming out soon about addiction. I think I’ll pick it up

1 Like

Very encouraging read from a well known celebrity encouraging abstinence and sobriety:

5 Likes