Nicotine addiction

I’ve been on cigarettes for almost 50 yrs. trying to quit isn’t easy. One thing I have learned during the many times I’ve tried to quit, is that the nicotine isn’t the real addiction. It’s the ritual you go through to get it. For me, I don’t smoke in the house. I have to go out to the garage to smoke. So I’m in the house and all of a sudden get the urge to smoke, I get up go out to the garage and smoke. That’s the habit, the ritual. I need to replace that act of going outside with something else. Some other activity. I realized this when I went to prison the first time. No tobacco in lock up available or allowed. It didn’t bother me one bit. I stopped thinking about smoking. I told myself when I get out, I won’t start back up. But as soon as I hit the gate that was the 1st thing I wanted to do. Probably because they had denied me that option, the rebellious part of me had to start up again in some kind of defiance or something. I still struggle with quitting and have cut down to half a pack but I’m sick of cigarettes. I hate them. I have to have them

2 Likes

I’m struggling with the same thing right now. I’m gonna work out to relieve the stress. I’ll take it from there. I’ve quit many times before hopefully this time I’ll make it.

1 Like

Hi. I stopped smoking December 9, 1999. Been chewing nicotine gum Ever since, but am gearing up to trying to stop in the next week or so.

I’m using this thread to get tips and support :point_down:

Maybe check it out? Good luck :+1:

3 Likes

I’m embarrassed to say I quit cigarettes for 13 years. I went through something about 10 years ago and I didn’t hesitate to buy them.:unamused:
I mostly vape and a pack will last about 4 days or so but man, one of my worst decisions!

1 Like

I quit March 1st, like you, I was a garage smoker. The nicotine was not the driving force, but the ritual to go out to the garage and get that few moments to myself has always been what I’m really looking for. I had quit for 3 years, then switched jobs and went down south for a few months of training and smokes were cheap and picked them up again. It is tough, I’ve spent the last 20 years smoking and drinking in the garage and not doing that has really dampened my ambition to do projects. I feel so much better already, and eventually the interest in the garage will come back around without the vices.