Nicotine, I want out!

So I’m almost 29 years old and have been smoking cigs since I was about 14 and I’m just over it, over the stress of when I’m gonna get that next smoke, over not being about to breathe, over it all. I have tried so many times to quit it’s like I have this little monster attached to me and I want to break free. I’m off work for two days and I really think I can make it but I’m afraid to go back to work. Idk just trying to put something out there

5 Likes

Hello and welcome!
Cigs can be tough but it sounds like you are ready to be done and that’s incredible.

I tried all the nicotine replacement therapies available (lozenges, patches, gum), and Wellbutrin the anti-depressant. What worked in the end was being totally ready, Chantix, and applying the 12 steps of AA. Chantix is not for everybody, for sure.

I quit like 15 years ago with the patches… i followed the steps time-line. My best friend was the Baskin-Robbins hard candies. When ever i got a craving. I popped one of those in… you can do this. One bit of advise… when you quot, you quit. Don’t think you can have just one drag, just one smoke… because like Pringles, once you pop you can’t stop. Good luck. You got this!

1 Like

Hello David, Ive been stopped now for over 3 months. I did it the ‘easyway’ using Allen Carrs easyway 4 day boot camp on audiobook. If I said it was easy would you believe me? (Baring in mind i had smoked at least 20 a day for over 30 years).I followed the instructions and I did find it easy. The beauty of this method for me was that you could smoke all the way through the audiobook. Previous attempts have included
Willpower
Champix
Patches
E-cigs
Cutting down gradually
Herbal non nicotine cigarettes.
Nicotine gum.
Id just had enough and despised myself because I knew I was better than this. Now I am feeling …well I cant tell you how happy and pleased I am that I kicked the addiction. I hope you find a way mate, best wishes.

Chantix has proven to be a miracle drug for me. It just makes me “forget” to smoke. Then when I do, it’s just not satisfying and after a few weeks my body seems to learn that and what few cravings are left are so minimal, it takes very little to abstain.

Having said that, I waited until I was 54 to start smoking (about to turn 60). Quickly got up to a pack+ per day. Tried vaping, nicotine gum, etc…

Now, to come clean here, I’m I’m back up to about 10 smokes a day. (I know, right?) But I kind of let it happen on purpose. Why? A couple of reasons.
It really helps me cope right now with other, worse addictions. It’s complicated. There’s also a dynamic whereby “knowing” it works so well for me, I feel like I can slide a minute and then go back on it when I don’t need the anxiety busting part.

I didn’t have any of the notable side effects. I know it won’t work for everyone (maybe because I’ve only smoked 6 years) but if you haven’t tried it, you really should in case it does. I wish there was something that worked as well for drinking. Good luck to you all. If you really want to stop, try everything until you find what works for you, like Leveller, and you’ll get it.

How much is a pack of smokes nowdays? Imagine the money you could save. I was always a casual smoker, but some of my buddies that were full blown smokers some had success with the patches.

Try reading Allen Carr’s Easy way to stop smoking