No more control

So my courses just finished one month ago. Since then I started drinking almost every day, sometime too much so I could call for drugs and don’t even remember it. It’s been two weeks that I figured that my behaviours were problematic and I should stop. I quit for 4 days then started again. Yesterday I drank just because I had to work but I had so much anxiety so the booze would calm me and let me go thru the night. Then at midnight I said this has to stop, I’m being out of control: the alcool has been controlling me for the last month.

Theses bad habits of drifting for a week or two started around 2 years ago when me and my girlfriend broke up. Well, she left for a lot of reason, but my behaviours when I was drunk were one of them. When she left I started home drinking for days in row, then weeks. I took 3 semesters off the school (I’m a Phd student so I could just pay my semesters and put myself in “research”…) which make me a little late in my program as of today, but I’m ok with it. I mean, I WAS ok with it, because after those 3 semesters, I was seeing a psychotherapist and I also saw a very nice woman working in an addiction center who helped me when I figured I had a problem with the booze. So I was fine with all the money I spent, the time I lost and the friendship I failed, because I started to work on myself seriously and started to control my drinking. So I restarted school, full motivation. 1 month off booze and I was more advanced then I did in one year. I celebrated for a week (relapses), then realized I couldn’t control it still. I did then 50 days off, that is my personal record. Then it was Christmas times, off school, tons of partys so I drank for 3 weeks. The school restarted so I stopped again for 1 month, then relapses, etc. Until the end of the semester when I drifted for the last month.

The last month could’ve just look normal for a lot of people in my entourage. School finished (that was a though one seriously), summers starting, student mid-twenties, single, working in the restauration… it’s ok to have fun a little bit, but I see that right now I can’t control it anymore: I have to go shitface every time, and this is not fun anymore. For a lot of my friend it’s the summer vacation. A lot of them work in bars like me, some have their “real job”. But there’s almost none who understands that I’m in serious studies where even in the summer I have to put in the work, even if it’s 35 outside and it’s Bob’s birthday. But most importantly, they hardly understand that alcool might be a problem. “You just have to control you or stop at a certain point or stop for a week then come to my pool party” Some just doesn’t care.

I feel like I’m putting the fault on others when it’s actually me that is not putting my words on the table and just assume that this is not the person I want to be. I don’t want to loose any relation because of this and by the mean time that also mean I don’t want to create and maintain unhealthy relations.

Anyways, I don’t know where I’m going with all this in this post. I joined last week here. Today I felt like sharing because I want to commit to this, to become the person I want to be. And experience shows me that I might only be able to do this if i go sober.

Anyways, thanks for reading, hope you guys having a wonderful day. Feel good to just writing this.

4 Likes

Admitting we are powerless is a big part of starting our recovery. Now you have to ask yourself what you are willing to do to get sober?

2 Likes

I have been in recovery for 2 and a half years and the one thing that I’ve learned is that if the people that “care” for you or are your “true friends” don’t support you and your journey then they aren’t your friends. People that truly care about your well being will not only support you they will not put you in the position to have to “test” your strength. If you are truly serious about getting sober and staying sober then you have to set the boundary and stick to it. If you stick to it, they will respect it as well…if they don’t then they aren’t your people. I had to literally cut off every person that didn’t support me or tried to tear me down, some were supportive in the beginning but once I became clean and stayed clean, off opiates and meth, I found I didn’t like the way I was being treated or talked to. I’ve also found that getting clean was the easy part, staying clean however was another story entirely. Stay strong, and focus on making a better you, there is NOTHING wrong with that and if people don’t like that it’s on them…maybe they weren’t worthy of you to begin with, but you deserve better than being sabotaged on your personal journey.

2 Likes

Truer words have never been spoken. I’ve cut some people out who thought I should still be drinking or using. Bye Felicia.

3 Likes

You did not just use “bye Felicia”! Are you one of my students now??? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

I did, and I will again.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for the words. Just finished my first day at work clean since awhile. Feels good to go to home before 4AM and taking care of my stuff.

I think now it’s going to be a little easier to push on people who doesn’t care because now I really felt the feeling of loosing control of my life and now I’m sure that it is a problem for me. I always had the thought that I didn’t, that I could just put myself boundaries and sick to it, but it’s more than that. Anyways it’s only Day 2 starting, but I feel stronger than any time.

My brother is about to have a baby. I really want to be there for her. I missed so many get together with my family in the lasts years, I don’t want to miss any with this new girl due to hangover or anything related to this. Anyways this is just one reason over all but it’s something important for me.

Good day all ! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve never responded to anything but read the posts regularly , keeps me grounded. :grin: