Non alcohol drinks

Hey Everyone!
Today is day 12 for me :)) MY question is what do people order when they are out drinking non-alcoholic drinks. Saturday night will be my first night out since this 30-day challenge and i would love to know what i can drink so at least i am drinking something. I can drink diet coke but what are some good non-alcoholic drinks to get and what they have at bars ?? How do people handle being in areas of alcohol around them ?I am a little nervous going there but I know I will be ok
thank you!!

I don’t go to bars. Makes it much easier, but if you really insist on jeopardizing your sobriety just make sure the bartender knows that when you say no alcohol you mean not a drop. I’ve heard of no alcohol drinks accidentally, or purposefully, having booze.

2 Likes

I usually get a club soda with lime or a cranberry and soda. Ginger ale works too.

Do the folks with whom you are going know that you are not drinking? Will they be supportive of you? For me, the only safe way to be around alcohol in the first few months was to make sure that my friends knew in advance that I was not drinking. I also drove separately in case I started feeling a craving or was just uncomfortable.

5 Likes

when i first got sober i was told by my sponsor to stay away from bars and clubs unless i had to weddings ect,wish you well

2 Likes

i have wine in my home and i am not touching it one is opened the other one isnt and i ahvent touched it in 13 days! so i know it wont be that tough and no noone knows that i am not drinking but mostly the people that are going are not drinkers and not heavy drinkers if they do drink

I like pineapple juice and ginger ale when I’m out. Or club soda and lime. Although I don’t go out to bars and stuff often now as it’s a bit boring, I realised I spent a lot of time with people I don’t have that much in common with apart from being drunk at the same time.

In terms of handling being around other people drinking, for me it helps to have a plan. I drive, have a reason for not drinking if people don’t know/ask (nothing major just an easy line that feels comfortable to say with a smile), and leave early when it gets boring - which basically depends on how drunk everyone gets. Or if you feel uncomfortable and feel like it’s too much to be around, just leave! It’s really not a big deal. Most people are more interested in themselves and as long as you’re not stopping them from having fun they don’t really care what you do. Don’t mean that in a horrible way, I just find it helps take the pressure off.

Like @MoCatt I also found it helpful to let a couple of close friends know ahead of time the first time I went out as a teetotaller. Took some of the nerves off knowing some people were supportive.

The main thing is to have fun… Talk, laugh, dance and know you will wake up in the morning with a clear head and lots of nice memories!

2 Likes

I just order Sprite. Sometimes I go crazy and get a Shirley Temple.

@Englishd has a good tip though. Telling the server or bartender directly that you do not want any alcohol, period, is a good idea. In my experience it doesn’t have to be a big deal. Most will understand and just do as you ask.

1 Like

great! thank you so much everyone! yes shirley temple are great too. This will be my first outing so i am kind of nervous but i know i will be ok!! i will think of all your comments and the naked mind book :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is a Shirley Temple? I know I could just Google but I am here so am asking here instead :grin:

Sprite and grenadine with a cherry garnish.

2 Likes

Oh that sounds nice! I was drinking grenadine with sparkling water when I was on holiday. So refreshing.

2 Likes

Pineapple juice and grenadine with cherry it looks like a sex on the beach without alcohol

1 Like

Tonic with lemon or I ask for them to make a non-alcoholic cocktail with fresh herbs. I had an amazing virgin mojito recently - so refreshing, and not followed by any regretful behavior! Good luck xo

3 Likes

Order a red bull, that is my party drink at bars! And it keeps me alert for drunk weridos creeping on me n my friends… No point in pretending you have a regular alcoholic drink… That’s just playing with fire… Just stay away from it… honestly it took me 4 months 5 months before I was comfortable going into a bar maybe you’re more courageous than me at 12 days but I definitely wasn’t ready to be around people drinking be sure that you’re ready and you have the right motives to be there you might just find yourself drinking and make sure that everybody knows that you’re sober and that your friends truly have your best interest at heart cuz some friends aren’t used 2 changes and someone else especially when they’re used to you drinking and then you stop drinking they may end up complaining that you’re sober and the next thing you know you’re drunk just be ready for every situation. My suggestion drive your own car so if you feel uncomfortable you can leave by no means pick up a drink and have a sober friend with you that isn’t planning on drinking so that way you definitely know you’re not going to drink and have a plan B

2 Likes

I normally order coke and energy drinks but alot of bars do mocktails now too

1 Like

Lime/Soda and ice, very refreshing and has a sharpness, orange and lemonade with ice, refreshing. When you see others with alcohol, say silently to yourself “I don’t need that, I’m enjoying my sobriety” then look away. Concentrate on talking and listening to people and being truly present. Good luck!

2 Likes